To repair leaking shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 10:00 PM
97HS
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To repair leaking shock absorbers

Hello gentlemen.
Last year I installed lowering kit to my softail rear suspensions.
and after installing I felt I ride rigid one.
I found the suspensions leak .
Maybe the shop guy made mistake while changing them.

Gentlemen. I can repair this suspension?
or no way other than to change them with new ones?
I appreciate your answers in advance.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:58 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 562 Likes on 392 Posts

Brand or better photo would help, but they look re-buildable, and just need to compress the bottom of the shock into the tube section to reveal the C spring to remove it, then the bottom section of the shocks should be able to be pulled out of the tube to address leaking seals.

If you look close, can see the C clip that limits the inner section in the outer tube,and once removed, the inner section can be removed from the shock.
Note, shock is under spring tension, so need to use a press to compress the inner section inwards, remove the C clip, the slowly allow the press to unload.

That will pull the spring, and then you can pull the inner shock cartage down the rest of the way to replace a blown seal.

Note, if the shocks are nitrogen filled/sealed and do not have a charge port to pull the charge, then recharge them in the end, then will need to drill to release the nitrogen, then add in a fill port fitting, to recharge the gas chamber with nitrogen once the shocks have been rebuilt. Hence kind of the norm when rebuilding BMW K shocks, so you can recharge the shocks back up to 14 bars in the end.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-23-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:22 AM
97HS
Advanced

thanks for answer with photos.

Note, if the shocks are nitrogen filled/sealed and do not have a charge port to pull the charge, then recharge them in the end, then will need to drill to release the nitrogen, then add in a fill port fitting, to recharge the gas chamber with nitrogen once the shocks have been rebuilt.

This is difficult to understand. Sorry for my ignorance.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:02 AM
kero
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Put new progressive on it, stock shocks are crap.

The following users liked this post:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (04-27-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 01:25 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by 97HS
thanks for answer with photos.

Note, if the shocks are nitrogen filled/sealed and do not have a charge port to pull the charge, then recharge them in the end, then will need to drill to release the nitrogen, then add in a fill port fitting, to recharge the gas chamber with nitrogen once the shocks have been rebuilt.

This is difficult to understand. Sorry for my ignorance.

Lets take a look at the shock on the left, which has a charged nitrogen bladder system, with that section filled with about 14bars of nitrogen pressure (1 bar is 14.7psi).
On that shock, you see if has a nitrogen charging port, to recharge the bladder section after it has been rebuilt.
Think of the charging port like a basket ball valve, that uses a needle to fill it, and will self seal when the needle is pulled. Also, add on ports come in both flush style, as well as above surface styles as well.

On some factory shocks they call non serviceable since they can be pulled apart,, they do not have a self sealing charging port to recharge them after they have been rebuilt, so you first drill a small pilot channel in the shock where you going to install a charging port( to drain the charge before it pulled apart so the shock does not try to kill you with that much pressure behind the parts when you go to pull them out), and when you have the shock apart, final drill and thread the shock body to install a charging port for the nitrogen bladder section.

As for Harley air ride shocks on the touring bikes, not filled with nitrogen, but just use standard low air pressure to charge the bladder section of the shock isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-24-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:47 AM
97HS
Advanced

Thanks gentleman for your patience.
I will try.
Ride safe~~

Old 04-26-2022, 01:08 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team

No worries, and if you can get your hands on a press (or make one) so you can remove the outer shield and spring to begin with, this will tell you if the shock has a charge port installed in it for the air bladder, or if it going to need to have one installed to recharge them after they have been rebuilt. Also, will show if the inner cartage end cap is removable to start with to rebuild then, or if factory crimped and a lost cause trying to pull it apart instead.

As for final charge, it's pretty cheap to take the shocks into a shop that has a nitrogen charging system once you rebuild it, then to have the shop do the entire seal and fluid rebuild. In most cases, under $30 for both the seals kit for both shocks, as well as shock fluid, and most shops charge less than $20 to recharge them in the end.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:14 PM
highside71
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched a video on YouTube and this guy replaced his rear shocks with Monroe MA785 max air adjust shock absorber and it only cost him $100

Premiered Apr 17, 2022

now it was on a 2016
Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra. but he stated it would fit most Harleys ,if needed use washers.
not sure this helped or not..

The following 2 users liked this post by highside71:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (04-27-2022), vicsponjr (09-24-2023)