EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help identify 5-speed transmission and where to order parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021 | 07:42 PM
Chill101
|
2nd Gear
Default Need help identify 5-speed transmission and where to order parts

I inherited a chopper that seems to have a mix of S&S and Harley parts. The transmission has issues where it gets stuck and wont shift gears. Specifically, it refuses to go from 2nd to 3rd gear. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Harleys/choppers but my research led to believe the problem may be bent shift forks, shift drum, or something with the shifter pawl/inner shift linkage.

I pulled the transmission, and the shift forks and drum have visible wear and scoring marks. The springs on the shifter pawl/inner shift linkage also seems extremely weak. Honestly, I am not sure how strong the springs are supposed to be though.

I would like to order parts, but I am having a hard time simply identifying the transmission to order parts. There is only one string of numbers on the transmission case, but nothing comes up online. Also, I am not really sure where the smart people order and buy motorcycle parts. Is the Harley dealership the way to go or are there some alternatives online that people recommend?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2021 | 04:08 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Looks like an aftermarket trap door, however, keep looking, there has to be a part number for the trans case somewhere.

How about a part number on the inside of the top trans cover? It will help narrow things down.

Looks like a 5 speed with electronic speedo pick up, so from 1995 or 1996 on.

What year is the bike title? Pics of the wear on the drum and forks? That 5 speed drum and shifter mechanism can be upgraded to the newer 5 speed drum and shifter mechanism, so if your going to replace those parts, then consider the upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
mike131 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 06:03 AM
mike131
Road Warrior

Like Yankee Dog said its a mixture of stuff, thats an old style shift drum with an old style shift drum detent, I would up grade that, they didn't shift the best and hard to find neutral, Baker makes a nice one but expensive, the newer stock harley ones are nice and will work on your tranny up to 2006, also make sure your shift linkage is all good, shift arm on tranny is tight and shift paw is adjusted

Old 05-26-2021 | 06:38 AM
mike131
Road Warrior

These old five speeds Harley didn't change much upgrades through out the years, so as far as the stuff your talking about the shift drum, shift forks, shift paw it will all work down to 84-85, but Id stick to 91-2006 the later stuff being better

Yankee Dog (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021 | 05:19 PM
Chill101
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mike131
Like Yankee Dog said its a mixture of stuff, thats an old style shift drum with an old style shift drum detent, I would up grade that, they didn't shift the best and hard to find neutral, Baker makes a nice one but expensive, the newer stock harley ones are nice and will work on your tranny up to 2006, also make sure your shift linkage is all good, shift arm on tranny is tight and shift paw is adjusted
I think this is basically the info that I needed. Sounds like I can go to Harley and just order some parts with that information. Thank you Mike.

Old 05-26-2021 | 05:53 PM
Chill101
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Looks like an aftermarket trap door, however, keep looking, there has to be a part number for the trans case somewhere.

How about a part number on the inside of the top trans cover? It will help narrow things down.

Looks like a 5 speed with electronic speedo pick up, so from 1995 or 1996 on.

What year is the bike title? Pics of the wear on the drum and forks? That 5 speed drum and shifter mechanism can be upgraded to the newer 5 speed drum and shifter mechanism, so if your going to replace those parts, then consider the upgrade.
Thanks for the reply. The only number I found on the trans case was "58305X0794" which doesn't come back with any results on Google. The case is pretty dirty; maybe there is another number is hiding under some crud or inside the case and I just didn't notice. I will take another look when I get off work. I will try to get better pics of the drums and forks too. You can kind of see the gouging in the middle groove of the shift drum in the picture I posted but the photo doesn't really capture it very well.

The bike title is registered as a "2001 American Eagle".
If I am reading it correctly, the Engine code comes back as a "year 2000, 4 inch bore, 8 1/2 inch flywheel diameter" S&S engine. The majority of the bike seems to be S&S parts. It appears to have a BDL clutch basket.

I will include a picture of the bike as a whole if that helps at all. Thanks for the information. Between what you and mike said I think I can go in and get some parts. Hopefully my diagnostics are correct.

Edit: I may be using the wrong words. Shift drum --> shift cam? Same thing?

Last edited by Chill101; 05-26-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Yankee Dog (05-26-2021)
Old 05-27-2021 | 01:19 AM
Chill101
|
2nd Gear

Well the forks don't look as bad as I remember. I am not entirely sure how much wear is tolerable on motorcycle shifting forks.

The shift drum/cam has some deep gouges; they just do not show up very well on camera.

Cleaned up the trans case a bit and I found a logo that looks like it says CCI and maybe the remnants of a part number tag.

I was pretty confident that a shift drum/cam kit and forks would fix my problem, but I am starting to second guess myself. I just don't know all that much about motorcycle transmissions. Assorted photos below.

Forks

Forks

Some gouging is more visible here

Logo? CCI I think?

This was on the bottom. I

Hard to see but there are fairly deep gouges in the channels.

Old 05-27-2021 | 04:22 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'm thinking Rev-Tech 58305 series (CCI/Revtech) transmission.

https://www.easyr.com.au/custom-chrome-transmission-softail90-99-5spd-pol

http://www.custombikesbymike.com/section%2011.pdf

I don't know if harley trans parts can interchange with rev-tech trans parts.

Nice pic of the drum. I see machine marks in the tracks of the drum, but not any crazy wear. I see some wear on the shift forks but a little hard to tell from the pics. Nothing super crazy.

I would check for worn pillow block bearings that hold the drum, shifter pawl wear and proper adjustment, shifter foot pedal to trans linkage adjustment and or slop, trap door bearing play, and any binding of the shifter forks on the rod or too tight/bent shifter fork rod.

Just reaching for some simple things at this point, but pretty sure it's a rev-tech, so thats a start.

I like the look of the bike!

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 05-27-2021 at 04:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yankee Dog:
mike131 (05-27-2021), t150vej (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021 | 06:04 AM
mike131
Road Warrior

Revtech parts should interchange with Harley oem, like the shift drum,if you get an oem, get a shift drum with the pillow blocks and it should bolt right in, oem shift paw should also work

Old 05-27-2021 | 06:14 PM
Chill101
|
2nd Gear

Awesome. I think I can make some progress with all that.

Repairing this bike has been a humbling experience. I really appreciate the information and advice. Thanks Yankee Dog and Mike.

mike131 (05-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Need help identify 5-speed transmission and where to order parts