EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Turn signal wires front and rear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021 | 10:03 AM
Bill Levens
|
6th Gear
Default Turn signal wires front and rear.

Good morning everyone. Hope all is well.
I'm currently working on putting an 89 Softail back on the road. Previous owner deleted the turn signals. I have tried looking at some wiring diagrams and it's pretty much a foreign language to me.
I'm hoping someone here can help me. If you were to delete your blinkers where would you hide the wires? I can't find any loose ones anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help.
I tried searching the site but my internet skills are challenged too. If you have a link to previous threads no need to start a new discussion.

Old 03-11-2021 | 10:27 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Look at the brake light and trace the wire back into the rest of the bike. The turn signals should have run with the brake/tail light wires most of the way.

Old 03-11-2021 | 12:36 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Or the wires were completely removed from the multi pin connector in the main wiring harness.

My guess would be the multi pin connector in the main wiring harness closest to the actual turn signals be it the front or rear.

a little more detective work with a meter and the schematics will be required if that was the case

The following users liked this post:
IronAss (04-20-2022)
Old 03-11-2021 | 01:41 PM
Bill Levens
|
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Or the wires were completely removed from the multi pin connector in the main wiring harness.

My guess would be the multi pin connector in the main wiring harness closest to the actual turn signals be it the front or rear.

a little more detective work with a meter and the schematics will be required if that was the case
Thanks for the replies and links. I pulled the brake light apart only 2 wires going to it. If I follow the plastic casing from there to under the seat it plugs into a connector with 5 or 6 wires, didn't check closely. If I test those wires while holding the blinker button I get two that are hot,, one with the left button and one with the right.. So I figure somewhere in that plastic case the wires are cut to the rear.
It may be more than I have knowledge for at this point. I was hoping to find plugs I could plug into..
Does the bike need blinkers installed in order for the flasher to flash them?

Old 03-11-2021 | 02:06 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The rears go to that plug under the seat.
The fronts go to a plug on the backbone under the right side tank and they're all black.

Old 03-11-2021 | 02:21 PM
Bill Levens
|
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RANGER73
The rears go to that plug under the seat.
The fronts go to a plug on the backbone under the right side tank and they're all black.
Any ideas where the flasher would be. I connected lights to the rear wires. They light when I push the button but don't flash. If I let go of the button they go out.

Old 03-11-2021 | 05:49 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I can never remember what year they went to the module from the blinker. Sportster blinkers were inside the headlight bucket. An original blinker from the era would need all 4 bulbs installed, and not LED's, to function.

Old 03-11-2021 | 06:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

I own an `89 Softail (since new). I could probably draw the wiring diagram from memory, well... probably not but I`m very familiar with the wiring on this model and year bike.....

What model Softail do you have?

What type of turn signals are you going to install, OEM?

The flasher is under the dash panel between the tanks, nestled among the circuit breakers.

This is easy stuff, don`t panic, we can help...

Pull the seat and both fuel tanks.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-11-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2021 | 07:02 PM
Bill Levens
|
6th Gear
Default It's an FXSTC

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I own an `89 Softail (since new). I could probably draw the wiring diagram from memory, well... probably not but I`m very familiar with the wiring on this model and year bike.....

What model Softail do you have?

What type of turn signals are you going to install, OEM?

The flasher is under the dash panel between the tanks, nestled among the circuit breakers.

This is easy stuff, don`t panic, we can help...

Pull the seat and both fuel tanks.
Seat and tanks removed. I found what looks to be a flasher, solid orange hot wire to it. Green hot leaving it.
All 4 bulbs as in 2 left and 2 right?
I'm unsure if the ones I'm trying to put on are factory. The PO gave me two blinkers with the bike. I want to go LED but wanted to figure out the wires before buying them. I wired the two blinkers that he gave me to the right side brown wire under the seat 12v when right blinker button is depressed. Still no flashing. They light with the button but go out as soon as I let it go. They will stay lit if I keep the button in.
Thanks for the help so far.
The more I look at it and research the more I think I understand. However still no luck in getting them to flash.
I pulled the left side button housing apart. Green hot going in and purple hot leaving when I push the button.
So in my head the Green hot in is the one leaving the flasher, the purple out should go to a light. When the button is pushed the light lights causing draw and heating up the flasher causing it to pulse.
So I put a new flasher in still no pulse. Tried going hot ran a power wire from the battery to flasher then a wire from the flasher to a light.. Still not blinking so I'm guessing not enough draw from the blinkers?

Last edited by Bill Levens; 03-11-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2021 | 09:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

The signal lamps will not blink unless there are two bulbs drawing current.

The flasher gets power from the accessory circuit (Orange wire).

A Green/Black wire runs from the flasher to the connector for the right turn signal switch, where it branches over to the connector for the left switch. The wires between the connectors and the turn signal switches are solid Green.

Quick Reply: Turn signal wires front and rear.