EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV carb identification.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021 | 08:15 PM
Muskrat21
|
Tourer

Cheers t150.
1st nice day this year so putting tools down and going for a ride.
Cheers

Old 01-10-2021 | 11:04 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Do you have the thumb wheel on the throttle? That is my "cruise control" but don't really use it all that much. Just during long distance steady cruising road trips. YD
I would be lost if that thumb wheel did not work..(ON TRIPS}

Old 01-10-2021 | 12:19 PM
Muskrat21
|
Tourer

Yes I need some sort of cruise control as my right hand goes to sleep after an hour or so. Have them fitted to all my bikes. Also handy to hold the idle up after the choke has been released.
Short 50km ride yesterday to warm up for oil change (on HD, Honda and 2 BSA's). The reason for the carb swap is evident. First 5-10 minutes she'll give a cough now and then and when I got home she smelt a bit fuely. I've had the old Keihin butterfly off a few times and put kit's through it to no avail (even put it in the ultrasonic cleaner over night).
Cheers

Old 01-10-2021 | 12:51 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Muskrat21
Yes I need some sort of cruise control as my right hand goes to sleep after an hour or so. Have them fitted to all my bikes. Also handy to hold the idle up after the choke has been released.
Short 50km ride yesterday to warm up for oil change (on HD, Honda and 2 BSA's). The reason for the carb swap is evident. First 5-10 minutes she'll give a cough now and then and when I got home she smelt a bit fuely. I've had the old Keihin butterfly off a few times and put kit's through it to no avail (even put it in the ultrasonic cleaner over night).
Cheers
The throttle lock works very well, especially with a thumb extension but - the drag shoe (spring) needs to be in good shape. Again, easy and inexpensive to rebuild.

(shoe) 56396-74A Friction spring
(And if needed)
11155 retaining ring
56394-74 spring.
56402-83A adjuster screw

Most butterfly Keihins on the Evos were rock solid and trouble free. They usually have a much better cold start and run than a properly tuned CV. But the CV will outperform and give much better fuel mileage. Sounds like you may have a leaking compliance fitting and if they're the originals, I'd wager that's causing those symptoms They were junk from the factory and even the cheap aftermarket replacements held up better. But if they are new or in good shape, they have advantages over the solid manifold of the CV in spite of all the extra connections.

Old 01-10-2021 | 01:03 PM
Muskrat21
|
Tourer

G'day t150.
By compliance fittings do you mean the rubbers from the manifold to the heads or the insulator between the manifold and carb? Neither have been touched.
I had to google compliance fittings.
Still getting my head around some of the terminology US versus English eg tranny = gearbox. LOL
Cheers

Old 01-10-2021 | 01:45 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Muskrat21
G'day t150.
By compliance fittings do you mean the rubbers from the manifold to the heads or the insulator between the manifold and carb? Neither have been touched.
I had to google compliance fittings.
Still getting my head around some of the terminology US versus English eg tranny = gearbox. LOL
Cheers
LOL. Yeah, I've been speaking American english well over half a century and I still have problems with some folks terminology. But I did grow up on Triumphs so I know a little bit of Queens english so far tools, fluids etc.

Typically everyone uses the solid intake manifold that matches the CV. That manifold only has 3 leak points but they are notorious to leak next to the heads. And... intake leaks are a no-go with a CV, they don't like it at all, not even a little bit. Trick is to have everything mounted including air cleaner back plate before tightening anything. Same goes for your original setup but with the extra Y w/flange, it's much more forgiving.

That original Y is hard to find so don't throw it away if you go with the solid manifold. If you don't go with the solid manifold, you will need to replace those rubber boots and an adapter w/flange for mounting the CV. Again since your cables are new, just modify the housing(s) as needed.

The following users liked this post:
mike131 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021 | 02:24 PM
Muskrat21
|
Tourer

Thanks t150, most informative. Figured your name was from Trihard days. I've been playing with Bits Stuck Anywhere's since early 80's.
This is my first HD although have fully rebuilt a few Shovel and Evo motors for mates. Last one was an Evo with a SU.
I'll be looking at the solid mount manifold as the original with an adapter will push the carb out that bit further. Not good for my knee and hip.
Cheers

Old 01-10-2021 | 05:05 PM
mike131
Road Warrior

I use this style adapter on my CV carbs, light press fit, good a stopping carb leak between carb and manifold, doesn't make carb stick out to far, old style intake so you can switch if you want between S&S and other butterfly carbs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ca...FZhI7q%252FJmq

The following users liked this post:
t150vej (01-10-2021)
Old 10-03-2021 | 01:37 AM
Muskrat21
|
Tourer

G'day Fellas.
I'm back! New job, covid and family got in the road.
A while back I bought new compliance fittings and an adapter for the CV. got all enthusiastic this morning and pulled the old butterfly and fittings off.
Bugga the adapter is wrong. OK I'll put the new compliance fittings on and throw the butterfly back on. The fittings looked to be poor quality but I thought with gaskets and goo she'll be right M8! All back together, tank and all. Fired straight up, then noticed a miss. BUGGA compliance fitting to head leak.
Lucky tomorrow is a holiday and will do it all again with the old but not leaking com fittings.
Where can I buy quality compliance fittings? All I've found on the net look the same as the dodgy ones I have.
Hay Mike, I just ordered one of those adapters.
Cheers

Old 10-03-2021 | 07:07 PM
mike131
Road Warrior

Good deal, I've had the press on CV carb flange on mine for years with out a problem

Quick Reply: CV carb identification.