EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1994 Touring stock headpipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 05:31 AM
Ropestringer
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 1994 Touring stock headpipe

Hello everyone. I'm starting to gather parts for engine upgrades on my 1994 Road King. I'll likely go with Hillside for cylinder boring and head porting to work with 10:1 pistons and Woods W6 cam, among other things. Of course I'll use whatever combo that Scott recommends.

I think I have everything figured out except my exhaust. I really want to keep my stock head pipes because I like the way they look along with the Paughco slash cut megaphone type mufflers. How much am I leaving on the table if I keep my current exhaust vs a good 2 into 1 or aftermarket crossover type headers (S&S Powertune Duals)?

Gregg

Old 12-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Idiocracy
Cruiser

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think its a significant amount...Id say 3-4 hp max if you squeeze out every bit with timing and jetting. Unless you are building this to win races, I'd keep the exhaust / look you know you like. FWIW, Im building a very similar, 10:1 and EV27 setup and I am keeping my V&H 2 into 2 long shots.

The following users liked this post:
Ropestringer (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 07:54 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 533 Posts

Check at the Y connection, they’re prone to crack.I went w/Omaha’s tip for the Paughco true duals.Found no real difference in performance.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:24 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

The stock setup isn't too bad of a system with decent mufflers but still won't have the full advantage of a 2-1 clearing out the spent gases for the extra hp/tq, just up to you.

If you want the best of both worlds for the bagger TD look I've done it on 2 different 2-1's. The stock pipes crack and can find for little or nothing, cut the welds on the left pipe where it is welded to the right pipe, the left pipe will separate with a long tab creating the ability for a ghost pipe. The long tab you just created will mount flush to a 2-1 system, attach the tab to the 2-1 pipe with a stock harley pipe clamp or even good hose clamps will hold it to the 2-1 pipe under a heat shield and undetectable. Purchase a muffler identical to the 2-1 muffler, a $5 exhaust pipe adapter from pipe size to muffler and done. Some exhaust companies make a slip on muffler identical to the 2-1 muffler not needing a pipe adapter, I buy all of my exhausts used trying to cut costs because exhausts are getting nuts in prices.

Just seen a Thunderheader system with shields and ghost pipe got thru Ebay for $300, man was that a steal. The listing was 25 miles from my house but working on a exhaust system for a Shovel and just wasn't in the plans to purchase it to have laying around.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by 86glider
Check at the Y connection, they’re prone to crack.I went w/Omaha’s tip for the Paughco true duals.Found no real difference in performance.
Paughco pipes are probably the best in basic aftermarket pipes and won't notice any power difference with stock engines, start jumping up to 10-1 with Woods cams then the TD systems will show a torque dip compared to a cross over or 2-1 system, just the way TD's lack of clearing for the next pulse. Comes down to how ate up you are with effeciency for the investment just put into your engine, we all know where this leads to starting something simple, it's the Evo Forum Motto.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Ropestringer
Cruiser

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'm not worried about losing a little bit but since I couldn't find much info about the stock header, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a major issue. I definitely want good low end performance though.

I'll check it for cracks. I really like the idea of converting it into a 2-1 and putting a rocket style slipon muffler on it.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:59 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

I have Supertrapp duals on my '94, They look balanced on the bike but with the tunable disc system you can dial it in to your build and preference on sound. I swapped the thunderheaders for them and was get was able to get the same Hp with a small drop in Tq to quiet them down.. When the internal baffles rusted out and I couldn't get them apart to rebuild them, I bought a new set. They bark when I get on them but are fairly quiet while cruising.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Ropestringer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rizzo
I have Supertrapp duals on my '94, They look balanced on the bike but with the tunable disc system you can dial it in to your build and preference on sound. I swapped the thunderheaders for them and was get was able to get the same Hp with a small drop in Tq to quiet them down.. When the internal baffles rusted out and I couldn't get them apart to rebuild them, I bought a new set. They bark when I get on them but are fairly quiet while cruising.
I loved the Supertrapp Fatshots on my Ultra but I want to try for a more nostalgic look this time. If the noise gets to be too much then I'll get either Supertrapp slipons or a Supermeg. The entire exhaust system had less than 100 miles on it when my bike got wrecked. I wish I would have taken at least the mufflers off before the insurance company took possession but I was shook up and wanted to be done with it.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:15 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Paughco pipes are probably the best in basic aftermarket pipes and won't notice any power difference with stock engines, start jumping up to 10-1 with Woods cams then the TD systems will show a torque dip compared to a cross over or 2-1 system, just the way TD's lack of clearing for the next pulse. Comes down to how ate up you are with effeciency for the investment just put into your engine, we all know where this leads to starting something simple, it's the Evo Forum Motto.
Yeah,I'll agree with that, just didn't want to give up my slip ons and like the look.