EVO All Evo Model Discussion

“Click Click” Noise when engine/oil is hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 04:40 PM
danielbardz
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default “Click Click” Noise when engine/oil is hot

Hello everyone! I ride a ‘97 FatBoy (evolution engine/80ci) and it is making a clicking noice (as if two spoons were banging against each other) seems like it’s coming from the rocker boxes (top of the engine). The noice begins only once the oil/engine temperature goes over 200 degrees F and the bike has been running for at least an hour. Cold start or just regular cool/warm start is just fine, no noise at all.
Bike only has 20k miles. Just had it serviced: new lifters/tappets, new adjustable push rods, All fluids changed (running 20w/50 oil). Also found out that previous owner had put a cam inside the engine.
I thought changing out the lifters and push rods would resolve the clicking issue, however, the noice is still there and it only begins when bike is idling or in Neutral (engine is hot at this point already). The clicking noise gets higher when I easy of the clutch but goes away right away once the gear is fully engaged.
I tried to bring it to several mechanics around me and everybody seems to thinks it’s lifters and push rods. Once I tell them all of those parts were changed their answer is then we don’t know what could be causing the noice :/ If someone has an idea or suggestions of what to do next I would really appreciate the advices.
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!
*video link is attached to hear the noise (on the bottom of this text) In the video I’m riding on highway and the clutch is pushed in and I’m just rolling. the clicking noise is so loud and clear that it’s even heard when just rolling in Neutral.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wI...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by danielbardz; 09-25-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:50 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

Nice looking bike. No video, just pic. From your description, an adjustment of the PR to preload the lifters a little deeper might make the noise less or go away....possibly. With new lifters and PRs, and low mileage, that's the first thing I'd do.

The following 3 users liked this post by daven9113:
Daniel58 (10-26-2020), danielbardz (09-25-2020), eighteight (12-11-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 PM
danielbardz
3rd Gear
Default Thanks for the fast response!

thanks for your response, I’ll try doing that too. I just attached the link to the video right under the text. It should be there now. Is there any other ideas maybe?

Old 09-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,071 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I know you said lifters and pushrods have been replaced, do you know what brand lifters and pushrods?

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:57 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

It's extremely difficult to diagnose a noise thru a video but I can hear it very well, just not able to pinpoint like in person.

The push rods could be hitting the covers. Need to know what brand/model push rods before we can give you much more info. And it'd be good to know what brand of lifters were used. Some of the cheaper ones have too large of an oil feed hole in the plunger and can cause it to starve the rockers as well as not have enough to keep the lifter bodies filled. If you can, post a photo of one of the push rods with the cover slide all the way up.

Hot engine, the oil pressure drops substantially at idle and it may not be keeping the lifters pumped up all the way. Since it only makes noise when up to temp, I'd first go with proper adjustment of the push rods as Daven and YD mentioned.

Also a slight possibility (but rare) that the "new" cam gear is totally mismatched (too small) to the pinion gear. That will cause a lifter-like noise too. Can't honestly say I ever had hands on with that problem, but it's noted in the manuals.

danielbardz (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 06:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,430 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
Also a slight possibility (but rare) that the "new" cam gear is totally mismatched (too small) to the pinion gear. That will cause a lifter-like noise too. Can't honestly say I ever had hands on with that problem, but it's noted in the manuals.
If the cam gear backlash is on the loose side it can sound like a noisy lifter, and the noise will be louder as the engine gets hot.

Edit: just watched the video, sure sounds like a loose lifter to me.

danielbardz (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

As said.. More info on cam lifters and pushrods... Sounds like the preload is soft.. Have you talked to the shop that did the work?

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 09-25-2020 at 07:22 PM.
danielbardz (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:44 AM
danielbardz
3rd Gear
Default ⚠️serious problem⚠️

Thank you all for trying to help! you guys Rock! ✌️
all the reasons you names are new to hear to my ear. New information definitely. But sounds like reasonable issues that you named. And I’m very thankful for that. Will definitely notify my mechanic about these reason and start investigating. BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENED JUST NOW ON MY NIGHT RIDE BACK HOME FROM Long Island to Brooklyn. The bike just stopped idling properly (shuts down if choke is not up) and had to raise up the idle screw on the carb to feed more fuel to keep it running. Got to the garage and what I see is the entire engine soaked in oil. Flashed some light around the engine and found oil coming out from the spark plug. Took it off cleaned it, put it back on ran the bike and oil still seems to be coming out of the plug hole. The engine also started making a new sound as if it is a steam train 🚂. Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhF...w?usp=drivesdk

I have no clue what’s up with my bike ... 😔

Old 09-26-2020, 04:04 AM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 211 Posts

I can not help out with telling You what's wrong with the engine, but I would not run it any more before I know exactly what's going on.

The following 2 users liked this post by K. Lindberg:
danielbardz (09-28-2020), Felipe Xavier - Xavi (05-13-2021)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:37 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,071 Likes on 1,039 Posts

OK, that engine needs to come apart. From that short video, looks like head gasket, but the question is why? Some hardware (bolts) worked loose? Cylinder studs coming pulling loose? Sorry, too much moving around of your camera. But don't run it anymore. YD

The following 2 users liked this post by Yankee Dog:
danielbardz (09-28-2020), Felipe Xavier - Xavi (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: “Click Click” Noise when engine/oil is hot