EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Electra Glide Sport FLHS 1990 service manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
coeno
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glide Sport FLHS 1990 service manual

I am looking for the best service manual for my HD Electra Glide Sport (FLHS) from 1990. I heard something about Peter's Handbook, which book do you think is the best? And where to get them?

Are the possibilities to download these service manual somewhere.

Thanx for your help.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Electra Glide Sport FLHS 1990 service manual

I like the H-D service manuals. Haven't heard anyone ever say the others were better.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM
runnwild1
Advanced

Buddy moved up to TC 88 glide. Gave up his EVO manual to me. Just got done putting new rocker boxes, cam and carb. Whenever I got stuck I went to manual and it got me through it. I like the price on the Haynes and Clymer but most of em are too generic ..1970-199? BT, etc
Spend the bucks on the shop service manual.....maybe check ebay out

Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered 2 manuals for our 1990 FLHTCU at www.surdyke.com and
received notification they will be shipped Aug 2 ($6.00 shipping)

HD 99450-90A 8790 PART CATA > 1 $38.40
HD 99483-90 8490 FLTFXR > 1 $48.00

My old manual fell apart, I purchased a Clymer which is nicer to look at, bigger and more pictures, but the factory manual seems to have more accurate information for the few things I have looked at so far. It's nice having both as one may give a little different view of the same subject.

I got the Clymer from Motobooks at Yahoo stores, might be
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/flbigev19.html

Harley-Davidson FLH, FLT, M422-3 1 31.22
FXR Evolution Repair
Manual 1984-1998 Subtotal 31.22
Shipping 10.75 Total 41.97

Each has wiring diagrams included but I haven't found any specific manuals for wiring

Can you give me more information on "Peter's Handbook"

thanks \

joe

Old 07-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

FSM. Get the parts manual also.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:46 AM
uktzero
Advanced

I also have a 1990 FLHS ... cool to see someone with the same year and exact same model ... I'd love to see some photos of it

Mine came with the large factory manual repair for FXT/FLT 1984-1990 if I remember correctly, which I've found to contain lots of information, but also lacking on a lot of really basic stuff

For instance, this is my first HD, but I've been riding Japanese bikes for 16 year now ... obviously there are some differences ... one thing I immediately wanted to do was change all of the fluids and tune the FLHS up because it had not beenridden since the previous year, and since I was new to the bike ... all of a sudden I find myself with 3 different places and ways to change, check and fillthe fliud instead of the simple "1-piece driveline" that I was used to where everything uses the same oil from the same place, and when it's changed, it drains and fills the whole thing from one place ... the jury's not out yet, but I think I prefer the 1-piece way

Anyways, since the HD system of having the engine, primary and transmission fluids all separate is NOT intuitive and unless you've had someone explain it to you, it's not an easy thing to figure out just by looking at it, even for someone with a lot of experience working on vehicles and other equipment

One thing I don't like about the factory HD manual, is that it isn't real specific about <i>where</I> things like drain plugs are or what they will look like

I'm pretty technical minded, and I found all of the drainplugs, but they weren't always in placesI would look for them at first ... and even then, they didn't always look like what I expected them to ... there was a generic arrow pointing to the approximate location of the drain plug for the primary, but no mention that it was a recessed torx plug ... the transmission drain was the worst thing for me, because there is no mention at all of where this drain plug is ... and the arrow showing where it is just points towards the bottom of the bike near the fill plug (from the photos, I was expecting it to have a side drain, or something similar to the primary drain plug - I ended up finding it directly under the bike, right in the middle, and a large 7/8 bolt instead of the smaller type that I was expecting ...

Even though I ended up being just fine with all of the maintenance that I've done, the factory repair book wasn't a huge help in a few of the cases, and if this was the first bike that I had ever owned or worked on (which happens to a lot of people) I might have ended up taking out the wrong plug, or adding fluid to the wrong place

I have a small library of Hayes manuals for cars and trucks that I've owned, but I haven't seen any of the Hayes for bikes ... but from my experience with their car books, the bike guides are probably pretty good

I've never seen a 'Clymer' manual, but I've hear a lot of good things about them

[font=arial]One thing I do like about the factory manual is that it has an actual photo from both left and right sides, for EACH model (there is a page specific to the FLHS) with some of the important parts and locations shown with arrows ... also, there are a lot of OEM HD part numbers referenced in the manual for parts and tools - I doubt if the Hayes or Clymer has a lot of that ... I've seen the HD factory parts books, and WOW are they amazing ... every single part, right down to bolts/nuts/washers is listed in there ... of course, they don't make a great deal of them anymore (like the @!#^% ignition key, but at least you

Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

The factory service manual and the factory parts manula for my 89 FLHT covers your bike as well. Between the both of them, you'll have all the information to repair or modify anything on your glide.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
91ultra
Intermediate

My experience is that factory manuals are the best, but often none too good, and I have had similar experiences as "uktzero" many times over the years. I ordered thefactory parts manual for my 91 Ultra from Chicago Harley (Google it) for 38.40 + 7.50 shipping. This is the same price as Surdyke hadit for, which happens to be 20% off retail. Had I known in time, I would have got it through Surdyke because their shipping was lessand their manual was in stock. Chicago Harley sells through the internet for 20% off on Harley factory parts. If anyone knows of other dealerships that do as well or better than this, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Afeature I like about the Chicago HDwebsite is that you can punch in a factory OEM part number, such as 99450-92, and it willidentify the part for you and what model it originally came on. This is very handy at times.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't recommend Surdyke, I ordered and paid for the HD 99483-90 ( 8490 FLTFXR )
and they sent me the 2007 Touring Bike catalog 99483-07 which is worthless for my old evo.
The label they printed and pasted on the plastic wrap covering the manual has the right numbers,
but you can clearly see the manual is for the 2007 touring bikes. They may exchange it but I will
have to pay shipping - I could have purchased it at a local dealer cheaper because of the shipping.
I emailed them but have not received a reply, so I may be stuck with the 2007 manual I can't use.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:02 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just in case you haven't tried, a regular key shop will probably have blanks for your '90. I found that out when I found my local dealer didn't have keys for my '92 years ago. I paid around $1.60 to get a copy. Wonder how much the dealer would have charged?

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Sport FLHS 1990 service manual