EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I Think This Wheel Is Trash...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 04:18 PM
91Eglide!
|
4th Gear

Well I have it all cleaned up, just have to get the races out to fully inspect. What all is needed when reinstalling the bearings. I want to make sure I'm not missing any spacers or anything and I know I need to buy new shims. Also how far in should the new races go in? This is my first time dealing with taper roller wheel bearings. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2020 | 04:31 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 91Eglide!
Well I have it all cleaned up, just have to get the races out to fully inspect. What all is needed when reinstalling the bearings. I want to make sure I'm not missing any spacers or anything and I know I need to buy new shims. Also how far in should the new races go in? This is my first time dealing with taper roller wheel bearings. Thanks!
If you don't have the right tools to set end play and remove and install the races I'd highly suggest you take it to a shop and let them do it.
Buying all the stuff you need is cost prohibitive if you're only doing one wheel.

The following users liked this post:
86glider (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 05:23 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I'm curious what the bearing spacer looked like, or more to the point, was there even one in there?

The following 2 users liked this post by t150vej:
Dehammer (03-06-2020), Racepres (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 06:03 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
I guess I don't see the problem. The only area that carries any load is the part where the races press into the hub.

My hunch is somewhere along the line someone replaced the races and made a hash of things getting the old ones out. Also looks like some witness marks from some sloppy seal removals along the way as well.

Always comes down to budget. If you're trying to get this bike on the road for cheap, and if you pull the current races and things look good underneath them, I don't see any reason not to run it. But if you don't mind spending the $$$, there are certainly better looking wheels out there.
assuming the Spacer is Correct...

Originally Posted by t150vej
I'm curious what the bearing spacer looked like, or more to the point, was there even one in there?
Yes yes and again yes... Know your opponent...

Old 03-05-2020 | 10:46 PM
91Eglide!
|
4th Gear

Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the spacers and everything really good and take pics so that i can get some advice on making sure everything is good to go. As far as buying the bearing removal tool. It may be very well worth the investment as I go through plenty of bikes and enjoy wrenching the, just havent done much bearing work.

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Handle - (cheapest place I can find it)
http://www.heartlandproducts.net/har...g-instal-tool/
Race removal tools Drag Specialties part number DS-196146
I had to grind down the two pronged piece a bit so that it would fit on the one I bought
Dial Caliper with magnetic base
Here is a cheaper one https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...QaAm2nEALw_wcB
Here is the one from Drag Specialties https://www.dragspecialties.com/prod...oductId=579018

You will also need a vice
You won't know what shims you need until you check end play.

Here is a video

I've had the best results with Harley Wheel bearing grease, I haven't lost a bearing since I started using it.

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:59 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member

I would destroy that wheel and get rid of it. There is a crack at 9 o'clock second photo. If the race has been broken by being pushed out I would guess the aluminum behind it is compromised as well. It's been stressed by a tard. Wheels are not expensive.

I invested in wheel tools but write off all my tools as a business expense and I like to do as much as my work as I can.

Old 03-06-2020 | 08:05 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Dehammer
I would destroy that wheel and get rid of it. There is a crack at 9 o'clock second photo. If the race has been broken by being pushed out I would guess the aluminum behind it is compromised as well. It's been stressed by a tard. Wheels are not expensive.

I invested in wheel tools but write off all my tools as a business expense and I like to do as much as my work as I can.
He won't know if that wheel is compromised until the race is removed.

Old 03-06-2020 | 08:45 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dehammer
There is a crack at 9 o'clock second photo.
Those are not cracks in the structure of the wheel...those are where the aluminum was "smeared" by the spacer when the bearing failed..I would grind those off so a crack can't start there...

If the wheel passes a dye crack check after the races are removed...I would run it with no worries...

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 08:02 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

If a welder is obtainable, mig preferable, you weld a bead around the face of the race and it falls out after cooling down. You can then use the old race to fully seat the new race because it won't hang in the bore because it smaller now.

Like others are saying, nothing messed up in the sleeve area

Last edited by 1997bagger; 03-06-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: I Think This Wheel Is Trash...