Why, Hoping there's a good reason

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019 | 06:25 PM
almostakeeper
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default Why, Hoping there's a good reason

Putting the bike back together and it looks like the PO did some changes.

The VOES has a piece of rubber zip tied at the top. My first Why

The violet/w wire that the VOES plugs into leads to the ignition control module plug in

And the other why, is there is no ignition control module. I'm assuming due to the bike having a Dyno s going directly to the coil, bypassing the module, but any thoughts on the VOES.

Old 10-18-2019 | 06:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

He must of thought it was sucking air.. so probably it's no good.. If you have a vacuum pump and am ohm meter you can test it if you have any doudts..

Old 10-18-2019 | 07:29 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The VOS, Vacuum Operated Switch works with vacuum to advance the timing, it's probably got a crack in it.
If the old ignition module was removed then that wire would go to the purple wire from the pick-up in the nose cone.

Old 10-18-2019 | 07:32 PM
almostakeeper
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
He must of thought it was sucking air.. so probably it's no good.. If you have a vacuum pump and am ohm meter you can test it if you have any doudts..
What role does the Violet/white wire running from the VOES to the removed ignition control module play. I've studied up on this till my eyes bled but i'm not connecting the dots. The bike ran and idled fine pre tear down.

Old 10-18-2019 | 08:14 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I told you, at around 2500 RPM the VOEs closes and sends a ground signal to the pickup advancing the spark/timing.

Old 10-18-2019 | 08:39 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

If I read this correctly... The Ignition has been replaced with a Dyna-S???
The Dyna -S has No Provision for VOES... it is Basically Electronic points... Including the mechanical advance mechanism... which Must be kept in Operable, and Within "tolerance" condition!!!!
The VOES is Not in play and is just along for the ride....
Note that in general...the wire is useless from the VOES, and the Vacuume line attachment at the manifold Must be Plugged...

If I am Mistaken...and this is Not a Dyna-S ignition..... well all this is BS
and the VOES should be utilized as outlined previous...

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (10-20-2019)
Old 10-18-2019 | 08:49 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Racepres
If I read this correctly... The Ignition has been replaced with a Dyna-S???
The Dyna -S has No Provision for VOES... it is Basically Electronic points... Including the mechanical advance mechanism... which Must be kept in Operable, and Within "tolerance" condition!!!!
Note that in general...the wire is useless from the VOES, and the Vacuume line attachment at the manifold Must be Plugged...

If I am Mistaken...and this is Not a Dyna-S ignition..... well all this is BS
and the VOES should be utilized as outlined previous...

Old 10-18-2019 | 11:49 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

It is also possible the P.O. adjusted the VOES for a different vacuum setting.
That adjustment screw has a seal over it and must be removed to make the adjustment.
After the setting is established, that adjustment screw must be sealed off again (silicone sealer works just fine) to prevent a vacuum leak which would very probably affect the VOES operation.
And like Racepres said, if the ignition doesn't use the VOES, then ya might as well remove it and seal the vacuum supply to it.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019 | 04:00 AM
almostakeeper
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I told you, at around 2500 RPM the VOEs closes and sends a ground signal to the pickup advancing the spark/timing.
That would be true if the VOES was in play. Since the wire that feeds it it's input leads to an empty connector the VOES falls into the catagory of "**** on a boar" IMO

[QUOTE=Racepres;18619632]If I read this correctly... The Ignition has been replaced with a Dyna-S???
Note that in general...the wire is useless from the VOES, and the Vacuume line attachment at the manifold Must be Plugged..

makes sense.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
When I pulled the wire Harness a few weeks back and noticed the sealed off valve with a zip tie across it, I made a note in my rebuild journal to research what the hell this was. Going to be close to 90 Sunday, we riding ?

Originally Posted by megawatt
It is also possible the P.O. adjusted the VOES for a different vacuum setting.
That adjustment screw has a seal over it and must be removed to make the adjustment.
After the setting is established, that adjustment screw must be sealed off again (silicone sealer works just fine) to prevent a vacuum leak which would very probably affect the VOES operation.
And like Racepres said, if the ignition doesn't use the VOES, then ya might as well remove it and seal the vacuum supply to it.
That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Old 10-19-2019 | 07:30 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

Agree
Originally Posted by almostakeeper
I'm assuming due to the bike having a Dyno s going directly to the coil, bypassing the module, but any thoughts on the VOES.

Quick Reply: Why, Hoping there's a good reason