Advice on buying an FXR -87

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019 | 04:06 AM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear
Default Advice on buying an FXR -87

Hello!

I just got an offer from a buddy to buy his FXR -87 EVO with approx. 50000 miles on it.

I went over to his house and checked the bike out, and it started up right away from being cold.
At first he couldn't even find the bike (he has a big place), but we found it in the back of his garage almong other toys.
There were no fluids under the bike, and it sounded great right away.
My buddy bought the motorcycle off the wife of some guy that could'nt really give him alot of info on the bike.

Is there anything I should be concerned about buying an old FXR?
(The overall condition of the paint was not perfect, but not bad either)

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2019 | 04:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Hi Alex, from across the North Sea! Welcome to HDF and the Evo section.

The answer to your question is 'No', however you will only discover what you are letting yourself in for if you buy it and take it home. At the very least you should change all fluids and filters, also check the tread and dates of the tyres. Change them if more than 5 years old, regardless of how much tread they have. To service it do get yourself a genuine factory service manual, not a cheap after market one. That will provide you with the info you need for any work you do on it, including servicing schedule, etc. As a back-stop we are here, with plenty of experienced members to answer your queries!

We will expect pictures if you buy it, of course!

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
Madmaximus13 (10-12-2019), Racepres (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 05:24 AM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Great bike but....... as w all older bikes parts become obsolete. Deep pockets helps,I had considered buying an FXR but availability of parts pushed me into the next decade. Everybody who is holding the stuff you need to make it yours also knows the parts are rare and price gouging is very prevelant,best of luck. I ended up w a 98 FXD after exhaustive research on the late 80s early 90s FXR.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 08:10 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Both Good and Valid observations... You will find an FXR is Not Average...and is somewhat of a Cult type Bike!!!
If you truly desire an FXR... it is a must have... if any EVO SuperGlide will do... A Dyna is most likely a better choice, for Parts all the way to Service...Cheaper too....
Having owned my 1982 FXRS since showroom new... I cannot imagine Not having an FXR ... or 2!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2019 | 03:44 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member

Bought my FXRS new in 1985. At this point in my life I'm blessed to be able to own any motorcycle I want and haven't found one I like better in the last 34 years.
That said....as already mentioned, parts AND SERVICE will be a problem unless you have the space, the equipment and the expertise to do it all yourself. Forget dealers...Over here they won't even look at a bike that old.
Other than all that...an EVO with 50,000 mi. wouldn't worry me a bit. Check everything that's rubber on that bike for rot...including the front motor mount and VOES hose.
Once you get everything updated...fluids, tires, etc. just get out and RIDE..!!

The following users liked this post:
Rsbenden (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019 | 04:10 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AlexSteele
Advice on buying an FXR -87
Don't buy this one...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...otal-fail.html

Old 09-09-2019 | 05:02 PM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Thanks for all the replies!

However it seems I will not be getting the FXR, he would not take anything less than 8k $.

Was i wrong passing this deal up?

Old 09-09-2019 | 06:13 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

This side of the pond 8k is too much.

Old 09-10-2019 | 03:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Beemervet
This side of the pond 8k is too much.
I've no idea what would be a sensible price here in the UK at present, but Evos are the Harleys that woke up Europe to the brand and early ones are pretty thin on the ground (over here as well as 'back home'). Many will be later imports from the USA, with the added costs of shipping plus import taxes to push prices up, by around 20% or more over US prices. I bought my 1990 Glide new and factory output that year from the MoCo was only around 50k bikes in total, so by definition Evos are pretty rare!

Old 10-04-2019 | 02:47 PM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Hello again!

I've really hounded this guy to lower the price of the FXR, since i really wanted to buy it.
I'm glad to say it finally came through today!

He lowered the price by 1k $ to a total of 7k $, which i accepted on the spot.

I picked it up one town over and drove it home (approx 1hour) on the highway, it was amazing.
When i arrived home it was already dark so there weren't any good light to take pictures, i'll see about posting some photos tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Advice on buying an FXR -87