EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Advice on buying an FXR -87

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019 | 06:34 PM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BB.No8
I have a 1990 FXRS Convertible. It has a mounting point for the factory saddle bags under the side cover. Your side covers are aftermarket Arlen Ness, pull them off and see if you have this mounting point. sorry for the poor photo quality.
Thanks for the catch with the Arlen Ness sidecovers, i would've never thought of that!

Is it only the convertible or do all FXRS models come with the mount behind the sidecovers?

Old 10-08-2019 | 06:42 PM
BB.No8
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Just the convertible model would have the mounting point. All I know is that my 1990 Convertible is listed as FXRS, not sure if they made other FXRS models without the mounting point. The Convertible model also has the longer tubes on the front and dual disc brake that your bike has. If you do have the mounting point welded to your frame then it started life as a convertible model.

Old 10-08-2019 | 06:46 PM
BB.No8
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

The only reason I said for you to pull your side cover to check for the mounting point is because the Arlen Ness Side Cover is designed to cover it up. I know because I also have a set of those side covers.

Old 10-08-2019 | 07:06 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
The forks and front wheel look stock Harley to me, as do the rotors and calipers, which is why I suggested it may be an FXRS. It's not easy to confirm the original spec, which IMHO probably included what you currently have. It may also be a European spec bike, which could explain its original higher ride height and twin front brakes. To this day overseas models of some bikes are different to US spec ones.
If it was in fact an FXRS originally ... or even an FXRS-SP... the VIN would certainly bear this out... no such thing as a Bike that does Not match the VIN...Unless someone changed something...
Note... My 1982 FXRS came with mags... [I still have them...disks on] the Dealership put spokers onto it so that I would Buy the Damn thing...Jap lookin POS!!!!
The VIN did Not Change... only the Wheels... Before it left the Dealership even!!!!! Not rocket science...

Old 10-09-2019 | 05:52 AM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Racepres
If it was in fact an FXRS originally ... or even an FXRS-SP... the VIN would certainly bear this out... no such thing as a Bike that does Not match the VIN...Unless someone changed something...
Note... My 1982 FXRS came with mags... [I still have them...disks on] the Dealership put spokers onto it so that I would Buy the Damn thing...Jap lookin POS!!!!
The VIN did Not Change... only the Wheels... Before it left the Dealership even!!!!! Not rocket science...
Ok, so what you are saying is that the dealership might have modified the bike with stock harley parts to make it easier to sell?

Originally Posted by BB.No8
The only reason I said for you to pull your side cover to check for the mounting point is because the Arlen Ness Side Cover is designed to cover it up. I know because I also have a set of those side covers.
Ok, i will check under the sidecover later tonight.

Old 10-09-2019 | 07:56 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AlexSteele
Ok, so what you are saying is that the dealership might have modified the bike with stock harley parts to make it easier to sell?
Absolutely... or the original owner maybe the instant he got home.. first week, month, year, decade!... even 20 year anniversary!!!!!
By the '80's, certainly the '90's... not too many of us rode "Stock"

Old 10-09-2019 | 08:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I agree with all that. On the other hand Harleys were rather less precise in their build standard and specs back then, than they are in more recent years. As a simple example, the wiring of my FLHS bears little resemblance to the wiring diagrams in the FSM, which are of little use to me (my bike is an International spec), but only around 20 were imported to the UK that year. OP's bike may have been delivered new with that front end, alternatively was modified by the dealer or first owner, which seem the most likely explanations. On the other hand a later owner may have front-ended the bike, spoiled the forks and swapped then for a take-off FXRS front end - who knows?!

Last edited by grbrown; 10-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Racepres (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019 | 08:48 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I agree with all that. On the other hand Harleys were rather less precise in their build standard and specs back then, than they are in more recent years. As a simple example, the wiring of my FLHS bears little resemblance to the wiring diagrams in the FSM, which are of little use to me (my bike is an International spec), but only around 20 were imported to the UK that year. OP's bike may have been delivered new with that front end, alternatively was modified by the dealer or first owner, which seem the most likely explanations. On the other hand a later owner may have front-ended the bike, spoiled the forks and swapped then for a take-off FXRS front end - who knows?!
Actually I assume the basic operational Wiring is Like they have been since the '70's... ie white, is hot to coil ...blue, is lights at the breaker...grey, 12v at ignition breaker.. yellow and white,..high and low beam, green, accessory and blinkers...oh and purple and brown, left and right signals... and differences???? maybe International vs Domestic...Radio's and the like I have zero Idea...
My point is two-fold... the VIN is the Final word on "what is it" !!! and modifications could be ongoing from pre-purchase on!!!
as you have opined...

Old 10-09-2019 | 11:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Actually I assume the basic operational Wiring is Like they have been since the '70's... ie white, is hot to coil ...blue, is lights at the breaker...grey, 12v at ignition breaker.. yellow and white,..high and low beam, green, accessory and blinkers...oh and purple and brown, left and right signals... and differences???? maybe International vs Domestic...Radio's and the like I have zero Idea...
My point is two-fold... the VIN is the Final word on "what is it" !!! and modifications could be ongoing from pre-purchase on!!!
as you have opined..
Basic wire colours are as usual, but there are many differences from the diagrams in the FSM, as I said. However I was simply pointing out (using the first item that came to mind) that all is not what it seems, especially in the period in which the OP's bike was made. A more recent example is that European spec 48s and other low-riding Sportster models all come with taller suspension and different rear lights, not something that will show up in a VIN, or even the specs and photos on H-D's own overseas websites. There are others, but I'll spare you that!

Old 09-10-2020 | 09:55 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Edited out...How in thee hell did this get Here???

Last edited by Racepres; 09-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.