EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Advice on buying an FXR -87

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019 | 08:17 AM
Braaaappchaser
Cruiser
Default Fxr

To me, you did DAMN good on the price for where you are on the map. To answer you, yes, the shocks and fork brace are after market. Also, and it could just be the angle, but you may have +2 tubes from where I sit.....again, could be the camera playing tricks on me. Either way, congrats on your new bike

Old 10-08-2019 | 08:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Braaaappchaser
…. you may have +2 tubes from where I sit.....again, could be the camera playing tricks on me. Either way, congrats on your new bike
I suspect it started out life as an FXRS, which came originally with taller forks and shocks. I suspect the fork length is original.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-08-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2019 | 10:32 AM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Braaaappchaser
To me, you did DAMN good on the price for where you are on the map. To answer you, yes, the shocks and fork brace are after market. Also, and it could just be the angle, but you may have +2 tubes from where I sit.....again, could be the camera playing tricks on me. Either way, congrats on your new bike
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by grbrown
I suspect it started out life as an FXRS, which came originally with taller forks and shocks. I suspect the fork length is original.
It says in the registration that it is an FXR, although it might have been registered wrong from the beginning in 1987.
Are there any telltale signs to look for to differentiate an FXR from an FXRS when they have been this modified from stock?

Old 10-08-2019 | 11:04 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vicsponjr
Beautiful. Congratulations!
I have been wanting to get a Shovelhead FXR for a year now. Never thought about not being able to get parts or service.
Never heard such stuff.... But, I have more than One Shovelhead... have had since the '70's!!!!
Originally Posted by AlexSteele
Thanks man!

It says in the registration that it is an FXR, although it might have been registered wrong from the beginning in 1987.
Are there any telltale signs to look for to differentiate an FXR from an FXRS when they have been this modified from stock?
The VIN is the Only way to know what the Bike is/was from the factory... No Fudge in the VIN information....

The following users liked this post:
vicsponjr (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019 | 11:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

The main and obvious features are your long forks and twin front discs! It would be worth going to the H-D website (the US one if necessary) and to the Owners tab, where you can enter your VIN and get the original spec. You can also download a free owners manual.

Old 10-08-2019 | 02:33 PM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Racepres
Never heard such stuff.... But, I have more than One Shovelhead... have had since the '70's!!!!

The VIN is the Only way to know what the Bike is/was from the factory... No Fudge in the VIN information....
The main and obvious features are your long forks and twin front discs! It would be worth going to the H-D website (the US one if necessary) and to the Owners tab, where you can enter your VIN and get the original spec. You can also download a free owners manual.

Just checked the harley vehicle lookup with my VIN, it's listed as an FXR from factory. 1987 SUPER GLIDE (FXR)

Does this mean that the forks, discs and shocks are aftermarket parts? :O

Thanks for the tip with the lookup service, downloaded my owners manual and other good docs from there.

Old 10-08-2019 | 03:28 PM
Craigny
Road Master

NICE!!! Looks awesome! Congrats!

Old 10-08-2019 | 03:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Just checked the harley vehicle lookup with my VIN, it's listed as an FXR from factory. 1987 SUPER GLIDE (FXR)

Does this mean that the forks, discs and shocks are aftermarket parts? :O

Thanks for the tip with the lookup service, downloaded my owners manual and other good docs from there.
The forks and front wheel look stock Harley to me, as do the rotors and calipers, which is why I suggested it may be an FXRS. It's not easy to confirm the original spec, which IMHO probably included what you currently have. It may also be a European spec bike, which could explain its original higher ride height and twin front brakes. To this day overseas models of some bikes are different to US spec ones.

Old 10-08-2019 | 04:42 PM
AlexSteele
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Craigny
NICE!!! Looks awesome! Congrats!
Thanks man!

The forks and front wheel look stock Harley to me, as do the rotors and calipers, which is why I suggested it may be an FXRS. It's not easy to confirm the original spec, which IMHO probably included what you currently have. It may also be a European spec bike, which could explain its original higher ride height and twin front brakes. To this day overseas models of some bikes are different to US spec ones.
Ok, it might be something like that or an earlier owner might have had an FXRS and swapped over some parts.

The part of the VIN that i think is supposed to designate what market the bike is built for is 1=Domestic, which would mean it was made for the US market right?

Old 10-08-2019 | 05:01 PM
BB.No8
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

I have a 1990 FXRS Convertible. It has a mounting point for the factory saddle bags under the side cover. Your side covers are aftermarket Arlen Ness, pull them off and see if you have this mounting point. sorry for the poor photo quality.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying an FXR -87