Shinko E270 Tyre Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 790 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonR
Yep - That's along the lines I was thinking

TBH I've got the Road King for serious riding so this won't see speeds above 50/60 and more often less ... just for tootling around

I realise there is a compromise using these but I'm OK with that - they seem to grip well in the dry at least
Funny thing about tires, you feel it before they let go.
When a friend of mine went from stock Goodyear’s to Dunlop 402’s on his ‘78 Super Glide, he didn’t make it but a few miles before crushing the lower staggered dual pipe. The tire just allowed the bike to lean further!

You shouldn’t have any issue with running those Shinkos, you will find yourself running lower speeds, naturally.
You’re all in on the look... and the bike looks great! I dig it the most.

The following users liked this post:
SimonR (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SimonR
I agree it seems low - but bearing in mind the max pressure is 41 on the sidewall and my reference comes from other forums etc

The website doesn't list a pressure ... as these are a 50/60's design the old manuals for shovels etc specified much lower pressures than we run today
I recommend you ignore those other forums, as you are being misled! The sidewall is closer to the pressures I would expect.

As for the design of those tyres, don't be fooled. They are modern tyres designed to look like old ones, which is not the same thing. I've been riding since the '60s and owned Harleys since the '70s and have used similar looking tyres 'back in the day'. Be assured, you do not want to ride on tyres actually designed back then! Forget wet-weather riding (and being able to brake hard with wet brakes), welcome into your world regular punctures and get accustomed to carrying a jack, spare tube plus puncture repair kit and suitable toolkit for removing the rear wheel on the side of the road, that being the one which most often punctures.

You live in the modern world, so take advice from current riders!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 AM
SimonR
Tourer
Received 165 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I recommend you ignore those other forums, as you are being misled! The sidewall is closer to the pressures I would expect.

As for the design of those tyres, don't be fooled. They are modern tyres designed to look like old ones, which is not the same thing. I've been riding since the '60s and owned Harleys since the '70s and have used similar looking tyres 'back in the day'. Be assured, you do not want to ride on tyres actually designed back then! Forget wet-weather riding (and being able to brake hard with wet brakes), welcome into your world regular punctures and get accustomed to carrying a jack, spare tube plus puncture repair kit and suitable toolkit for removing the rear wheel on the side of the road, that being the one which most often punctures.

You live in the modern world, so take advice from current riders!
I hear what you are saying and respect your knowledge - ignoring other actual users of these actual specific tyres seems shortsighted - I admit it isn't necessarily correct which is why I asked for opinions of users of these tyres on this forum

I too have been riding since the 70's and admit I'm fairly new to Harleys but not new to old / new bikes with old / new technology

Old 08-23-2019, 09:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

The only bikes I have ever run with pressures as low as 20psi are lightweight off-road bikes, with rim-locks, to prevent the tyre from rotating on the rim!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 AM
SimonR
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
The only bikes I have ever run with pressures as low as 20psi are lightweight off-road bikes, with rim-locks, to prevent the tyre from rotating on the rim!
I hear you - that isn't what these are though !

I just asked for advice from people using these - I thought it might be contentious but hey ho

I've had another response off an actual user who is running 20 in the rear and had no issues - and another who is on his 2nd rear running 25 - again no issues other than relatively short lifespan

Old 08-23-2019, 03:17 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,387 Likes on 959 Posts

My Duo Glide manual says . Solo Rider. Front=20 psi. Rear =24 psi. But. That is for 1964. I am running Shinko E-270s on my Pan. 30 psi in rear. Front looks new. Rear is wearing quickly. Soft rubber compound. I am going back to Avon Speedmaster on rear after this Shinko wears out.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:52 AM
SimonR
Tourer

Originally Posted by OLD 96
My Duo Glide manual says . Solo Rider. Front=20 psi. Rear =24 psi. But. That is for 1964. I am running Shinko E-270s on my Pan. 30 psi in rear. Front looks new. Rear is wearing quickly. Soft rubber compound. I am going back to Avon Speedmaster on rear after this Shinko wears out.
Brilliant - Many thanks

Old 08-24-2019, 07:23 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,793 Likes on 893 Posts

As far a new technology, my Shovel buddies will argue to the death if you mention 40-42 pounds of air pressure on a bagger, they always revert back to Pan and early Shovel bias ply tires running at 15 psi as their reference. They do currently run older style Dunlops now but 20 psi max, out of respect for the old dudes I'll let it go and say a 800-900 lb bagger with low tire pressure is noticeable to only get "you yuppies don't need that much pressure"

Moral of the story, technology changes, modern tires are round now.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 08-24-2019 at 07:26 AM.
SimonR (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,436 Likes on 5,026 Posts

I think you are are running these tires too low. Low pressure equals excess tire squirm, and that means heat.

You should be using the tire pressure recommended in the owners manual for the bike.

If the tire manufacturers max pressure is lower than the motorcycle manufacturers recommended pressure then the tire is not suitable for the bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Beemervet (08-24-2019), grbrown (08-25-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 02:04 PM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would add 2-4 lbs. per tire due to heavier weight of bike to start with above duo glide.

SimonR (08-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Shinko E270 Tyre Pressure