EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with CV carb settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 03:38 PM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Help with CV carb settings

Ok like the title says, I’m looking for some general help in the settings on my CV carb on my bike and this is the first time I’ve ever been into the carb myself. Took it apart for a good cleaning and want some advice if I should stay with the jets in there already. My bike is a 1998 Dyna Wide Glide, motor is stock but with Vance and Hines pipes with the baffles still installed, stock cam, screaming eagle air filter and DynoJet kit installed from dealer. From what I can tell, the pilot jet is a 45 and the main jet is a 180. These were installed when the bike had Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers and I never changed them when I went to the Vance and Hines. Bike ran ok before I took it apart but I want to replace the jets and get rid of the DynoJet and use a HD emulsion tube back installed. They got buggered up while I was disassembling. So I ask should I stay with those same number jets or change them in anyway? I say the bike ran ok when warmed up with some deceleration popping in the exhaust and on warm up it would bog down if but not stall. Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks before hand!

Old 08-05-2019, 05:34 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,700 Likes on 2,125 Posts

There are a few sticky's in the Carb section related to jetting the CV carbs - any of them helpful ?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:41 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Short answer - yes. Those jets are a good starting point.

While you're into all this, I'd recommend pulling the intake and replacing the carb grommet and o-rings under the flanges. The spigots need to be cleaned (sanded) shiny and smooth as do the tapers on the flanges. The bore of the intake bung should be cleaned smooth and round. Use some grease or vaseline on the o-rings and the inner part of the carb grommet.

When you get into it far enough, you need to tell us what needle # you have, verify the slide has not been drilled out and that the slide spring is stock. Popping thru the exhaust can be an exhaust leak or lean/mismatched carb internals can also cause a decel whup-whup gurgle. A leaking starter valve (enricher) can cause all kinds of weird problems so check it too.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:56 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 790 Likes on 424 Posts

I’d recommend CV Products for jets, needle & emulsion tube. They have a helpful website.
Jets are cheap enough, maybe order an 175, 180 &185, see which one works best.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 AM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer

Originally Posted by rizzo
There are a few sticky's in the Carb section related to jetting the CV carbs - any of them helpful ?
yes I’ve seen those and using what I can as some have links that are not good anymore

Originally Posted by t150vej
Short answer - yes. Those jets are a good starting point.

While you're into all this, I'd recommend pulling the intake and replacing the carb grommet and o-rings under the flanges. The spigots need to be cleaned (sanded) shiny and smooth as do the tapers on the flanges. The bore of the intake bung should be cleaned smooth and round. Use some grease or vaseline on the o-rings and the inner part of the carb grommet.

When you get into it far enough, you need to tell us what needle # you have, verify the slide has not been drilled out and that the slide spring is stock. Popping thru the exhaust can be an exhaust leak or lean/mismatched carb internals can also cause a decel whup-whup gurgle. A leaking starter valve (enricher) can cause all kinds of weird problems so check it too.
Intake was resealed last year when I swapped this carb back into my bike. Had a Mikuni on it for a couple years. I should have cleaned the cv carb before I reinstalled it but I got into a hurry. How do you tell what needle it is? The one I pulled out is adjustable with a few shims so I assume it’s the Screaming Eagle or DynoJet version.
Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I’d recommend CV Products for jets, needle & emulsion tube. They have a helpful website.
Jets are cheap enough, maybe order an 175, 180 &185, see which one works best.
Yes I’ve been looking at that company and their website for awhile also.

thanks for the replies so far!

Last edited by ClifWideGlide; 08-06-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

I don’t think you have a dyno-jet setup:
dyno-jet uses a different sizing designation for their jets... wouldn’t be a 180.
My Dyno-jet needle had a circlip and grooves in the needle to adjust the height, as opposed to shims. The steel circlip eventually eats up the needle causing it (in my case) to fall off and block the needle jet from seating in the tube.
The CV needle doesn’t use a clip or shims... no adjustment.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,838 Likes on 688 Posts

+1 for CV Performance,. they have everything you need. Check your float height setting while you have the carb apart.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:09 AM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I don’t think you have a dyno-jet setup:
dyno-jet uses a different sizing designation for their jets... wouldn’t be a 180.
My Dyno-jet needle had a circlip and grooves in the needle to adjust the height, as opposed to shims. The steel circlip eventually eats up the needle causing it (in my case) to fall off and block the needle jet from seating in the tube.
The CV needle doesn’t use a clip or shims... no adjustment.
Ok here are some pictures of what I pulled out.

Last edited by ClifWideGlide; 08-06-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 AM
ClifWideGlide
Tourer

As far as the needle goes, the one I pulled out looks to be worn and or pitted somewhat. I plan on replacing it also and I have a old needle that I think might have come out of the stock carb. It is a N8EA needle and looks like the one on CV Performance website

Last edited by ClifWideGlide; 08-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

The dyno-jet needle with the clip was brass in mine.

You can set your float while the carbs off the bike, put in the Jets you have with the stock needle and see how she runs.

I changed the main Jet with the carb on the bike... I tried a 180 and she ran great, but I thought the engine felt hotter than normal, so I put in the 185 main that I run now. Gotta be careful not to pinch the gasket when replacing the bowl!
I vaguely remember the screws to be JIS type (Japanese Phillips head) be sure to use the correct driver.

Quick Reply: Help with CV carb settings