EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Advice on removing an exhaust stud.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019 | 05:25 PM
jcsurf
|
Tourer
Default Advice on removing an exhaust stud.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some sound advice on how to remove a stubborn exhaust stud. The 2 front ones and the upper rear one came out with a good dose of this stuff I got called StrikeHold and the double nut method. Tried the same with the last one and it doesn't want to move. It's kind of hard getting the 2 nuts tight enough because of where it is, also tried a stud remover on that one with no luck. I got some offset box end wrenches at the job I'm going to try tomorrow that might give me some added leverage. I also have a propane and a map gas torch but not sure which one to use, I really don't want to pull the head off. I don't have access to a welder to weld a nut on it either. Any other ideas would be welcome at this point as I'm sure it can be removed without getting too drastic on it. The other three came out kind of hard but they came out. I'm going to order a exhaust stud drilling jig from George's Garage just in case it comes down to that. Thanks again guys for all your help and advice. I'll check back. Got some ARP studs for replacements. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2019 | 05:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Why are you removing your exhaust studs??

Old 07-17-2019 | 06:10 PM
jcsurf
|
Tourer

Besides being 21 years old 3 of the 4 wouldn't torque.

Old 07-17-2019 | 06:57 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior

If it were me I’d leave that one too ride for another day. Not putting a spec torque on it shouldn’t have any effect leaving you with a leak. Use new replacement gaskets and nuts should be fine. Unless your looking for more potential need to go deeper just leave it for a time when you may want to tare it down for a top end job.

Old 07-17-2019 | 08:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by jcsurf
Besides being 21 years old 3 of the 4 wouldn't torque.
At a guess I'm gonna say that the ones that wouldn't torque are the 3 you've already removed.
If that is the case leave the 4th one alone as it still works and it's kinda hard to fix something that ain't broke.

Old 07-18-2019 | 05:51 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Riders Club Member

If you have to take it out, I would use the map gas and stud puller. I'm guessing it needs to come out because the threads are buggered up from trying to take it out with the stud puller

Old 07-18-2019 | 06:07 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Them studs on the back side of the exhaust port are a bitch huh?

I'd suggest some penetrating fluid and red loctite the double nut affair down, reef it tight, then try again about a day later after the loctite has hardened and the penetrating fluid has penetrated.

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019 | 06:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

Take very great care! I had similar problems with my shovelhead many years ago, bought new. There is only one stud in each head and they each split the casting, requiring removal of the heads, welding and fresh threads - with helicoils.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019 | 09:00 AM
jcsurf
|
Tourer

Thanks Matt, Got plenty of red loctite, sounds like a good idea plus I'll use some of the all steel locking locking nuts.

Old 07-18-2019 | 09:02 AM
jcsurf
|
Tourer

Thanks Guys for your replies going to work on it after work, I'll post the results.

Quick Reply: Advice on removing an exhaust stud.