EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why does my idle speed keep jumping around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,259 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Default Why does my idle speed keep jumping around?

I'm loving the performance of my 1994 Fatboy after the re-jetting the other night, but now I'm having a problem that I hope is something simple.

I can set the idle to what feels about right after warming the bike up, but then if I goose the throttle, it comes back to an idle that's WAY too high. Conversely, sometimes when sitting still and idling, the idle speed will drop to a point that the engine threatens to die and has a couple of times.

Have any of you experienced this? Could it be the mixture screw setting? The throttle cable(s)?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Not always, but more often than not it's an intake leak or other vacuum leak.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by t150vej
Not always, but more often than not it's an intake leak or other vacuum leak.
Okay, now a stupid question....how many vacuum hoses are supposed to be attached to the carb? I only seem to have one, a little 1/4-inch job that attaches on top.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,070 Likes on 1,039 Posts

For 1994 bikes, the vacuum line from the carb goes to the VOES. The voes can develop a leak from just the age of the part. Or it could be the vacuum hose to the voes, also as mentioned the intake manifold to head or carb to manifold seal. I would replace the hose first and see if that fixes your problem. I think you recently replaced the manifold O-rings?

If the hose is good, and the voes is original, might be worthwhile to test the voes with a meter and a vacuum gauge (like mighty-vac or similar) . Even if they don't leak, the switch inside the voes has contact points that get oxidized over the years and the resistance increases. The meter will tell you what the resistance is. Not saying that is the cause of your problem, but I am saying that it may be worthwhile to test the voes for a leak. You don't have to remove the voes to testm but you do need to get at the wire connections and the vacuum line at the carb, so maybe fuel tank removal. You can also hear the voes click when the vacuum is applied triggering the switch inside.

If you don't have a mighty vac, you can at least check for a leak by applying suction. If it holds it good, if it don't then it leaks. The meter is optional but those are just a few bucks at harbor freight if your on a budget...

It's just another suggestion in what to check, good luck. YD

Slight variation in idle speed from a cold bike to a warm bike is normal, mine idles higher when it is warmed up, so I adjusted my idle to 1000 rpms when at normal operating temp nut it should not rise and fall like your experiencing. YD

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
For 1994 bikes, the vacuum line from the carb goes to the VOES. The voes can develop a leak from just the age of the part. Or it could be the vacuum hose to the voes, also as mentioned the intake manifold to head or carb to manifold seal. I would replace the hose first and see if that fixes your problem. I think you recently replaced the manifold O-rings?

If the hose is good, and the voes is original, might be worthwhile to test the voes with a meter and a vacuum gauge (like mighty-vac or similar) . Even if they don't leak, the switch inside the voes has contact points that get oxidized over the years and the resistance increases. The meter will tell you what the resistance is. Not saying that is the cause of your problem, but I am saying that it may be worthwhile to test the voes for a leak. You don't have to remove the voes to testm but you do need to get at the wire connections and the vacuum line at the carb, so maybe fuel tank removal. You can also hear the voes click when the vacuum is applied triggering the switch inside.

If you don't have a mighty vac, you can at least check for a leak by applying suction. If it holds it good, if it don't then it leaks. The meter is optional but those are just a few bucks at harbor freight if your on a budget...

It's just another suggestion in what to check, good luck. YD

Slight variation in idle speed from a cold bike to a warm bike is normal, mine idles higher when it is warmed up, so I adjusted my idle to 1000 rpms when at normal operating temp nut it should not rise and fall like your experiencing. YD
I keep thinking that it has to somehow be related to removing the carb and putting it back on. I doubt the jetting is the issue.

So I'll try the vacuum line first. Mine was a bit of a pain to get on. Maybe I should also look at the seating of the carb, because maybe I didn't get it quite right? I'll have a look tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:34 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog

+1 on all the previous post
And, I assume that year has a vacuum operated petcock so there will probably be a "T" in the vacuum lines. Eliminate all those possible leak areas before you go any further.

Windseeker (06-30-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

When I first installed the carb back onto the bike after re-jetting, the idle was low but it was consistent. But then I removed it again to increase the mixture a bit, and since then, the idle has been all over the place.

So I'll remove it again tonight to make sure it's seated properly.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

If all your vacuum lines are factory I'd replace them first and see what happens.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If all your vacuum lines are factory I'd replace them first and see what happens.
I think I may try that. But first, I want to be 100% sure that the carb is properly seated against the manifold and that the boot looks healthy.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:42 PM
fxrs89
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure throttle cables are working freely & not out of adjustment?

Windseeker (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Why does my idle speed keep jumping around?