EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED Bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Default LED Bulbs?

Can't do LED headlights in my Tour Glide but would like to change at least the tail and front turn/marker bulbs to low current led bulbs. I tried a pair in the front about 12-14 years ago and I had to strike a match to see if they were burning Threw them in the trash.
I figure bulbs have come a long way since, but even the non-colored "white light" versions of 1157 say for use behind a clear lens. So, have any of y'all had any luck with 1157 or 1156 led bulbs that are bright enough to actually run?

Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 790 Likes on 424 Posts

I installed the Fuel Moto FM-A6K Moto LED H4 headlight replacement bulb. $70.00... I think you can find the same headlamp bulb on eBay for less.

straight forward installation, it comes with four adapter plates and a spring. Does not come with instructions.
I used the adapter plate that matched the old bulbs back plate, it twist-locks into place, then put the bulb in just like the stocker. (No spring needed on my ‘97 FLHR.

Its much brighter than the stock bulb, but It’s a little odd hearing a tiny fan operating when you turn on the ignition switch!

i haven’t found anything for the brake or turns and I never use the spots.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I don't have any direct experience with LEDs for the tail lights or brakes, but have you tried contacting superbrightleds.com? They have the widest selection of LED's. I don't think they would steer you wrong.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I put plain old auto parts store LEDs in the front and rear signal lights and the brake lights on my Electra Glide a year or two ago.

Work fine. Bright as hell. Instant-on.

I don't remember the brand, but I got them at autozone.

The only wrinkle was that they don't draw enough to activate the stock turn signal module. I swapped it out for a Badlands.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:43 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0maha
I put plain old auto parts store LEDs in the front and rear signal lights and the brake lights on my Electra Glide a year or two ago.

The only wrinkle was that they don't draw enough to activate the stock turn signal module. I swapped it out for a Badlands.
Great to hear!
I’m going to check out autozone for my turns and brake light... I believe I can strap a resistor across the LED, so the turn signal module recognizes the bulb.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Yeah, none of the headlights will work without butchering up my headlight bucket and/or remodeling it to use a Road Glide version. (too much work if even possible). The Road Glide setup is totally different from my Tour Glide, though they do look similar at first glance.

I looked at Superbrightled and was sorta hoping to pick something up at the fast-food parts store.

I'll stop by the Zone and browse, maybe drop 20 bucks and see if they work better than the ones I tried years ago. I don't have a turn module - just thumbs and 2 prong flasher so if they blink to fast, I know how to fix that.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:02 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
Great to hear!
I’m going to check out autozone for my turns and brake light... I believe I can strap a resistor across the LED, so the turn signal module recognizes the bulb.
You can, but then you give back some of the benefit (ie, lower draw on the charging system) of the LEDs.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by t150vej
I don't have a turn module - just thumbs and 2 prong flasher so if they blink to fast, I know how to fix that.
!

Haha I remember those!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

You can, but then you give back some of the benefit (ie, lower draw on the charging system) of the LEDs.

Thats true, but I’m not too concerned about the current draw, I just want to be seen!!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Yours may be a different contact base but did the light part of the bulb look like photo 1 or photo 2?

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs?