EVO All Evo Model Discussion

berring/wurring noise ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 AM
tomtuna1978
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default berring/wurring noise ?

ok guys!!! im new to this sight and harleys!!! i posted a question on the soft tail forum,and didnt really get too much info. ive also done a search and found nothing. this noise is starting toget worse and its bugging me!!! ive got a 99 nightrain and im hearing a wirring noise comming from the cam area,it sounds like a berring is going bad kindof. now... im a mechanic and am not affraid to to tare this babby apart,i just dont wanna tare it apart and have a lot of down time.like i said im new to harleys,only had her for a year or so,so thats why im askin this here. please help this is my babby and i dont want her to get anny worse!!! thsnks!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 AM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: berring/wurring noise ?

I dont own a TC88.. but if I'm not mistaken I thought that there was a problem with eitherthe cam bearings or the rod bearingson the early TC's... I'm not 100% which ones..I would contact the HD dealer and ask...sorry I couldn't be more infromative

Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: lowglide88

I dont own a TC88.. but if I'm not mistaken I thought that there was a problem with eitherthe cam bearings or the rod bearingson the early TC's... I'm not 100% which ones..I would contact the HD dealer and ask...sorry I couldn't be more infromative
He doesn't own a TC88. I made the same mistake thinking he did in his other thread.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be the infamous INA cam bearing heading south. It's not too difficult to replace.
You should be able to knock it out in an afternoon easily. Don't wait too long, the
bearing has been known to cause major damage.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 AM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think I would open it up! about the only thing that would make that kind of noise on that side of the engine would be the cam drive gears, if the cam bearing is going south you need to take care of it NOW!!! If it is ok you will have the peace of mind that it's not the bearing, and you could go ahead and change it before it does become an issue. It's better to inspect it and have a few days down time. or I guess you could just keep on listening to the noise and have a month or two down.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
tomtuna1978
Intermediate

hay guys !! i started relly listening to it this morning and its actully coming from the clutch area behind the derby cover. amazing how sound travels!!! what do ya think?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 PM
crampfan
Cruiser

OK now we will need some more info. is the noise always there? or 1; when transmission is nut. w/the clutch out, or in? 2; in gear with the clutch out. or in? 3; when moving? 4; in any certain gear? 5; does it change with engine speed? 6; does it change with road speed? is the noise worse or less at any time? and last, is there oil in the primary and transmission? I could prob. tell you what it is just by listening to it, but thats really hard over the internet, so any info you can give will help bunches.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
tomtuna1978
Intermediate

ok !! its aloways there,sounds faster when you rev it ,and i here it most when i down shift to 1st. i just serviced the primary drive and adjusted the chain,thinking that was it! wile i was in there i didnt see annything out of the ordinary! the drain screw/magnet? had a littlebit of mettle flakes on it but nothing too bad. i only got 1 notch out of the chain tensioner adjustment,dont think i gotthe chainto tight. dont think its ever been serviced! itsgot 24000 mi on it! and i dont know about the oil in the trans, where do i check it? thanks crampfan !!!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:08 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain

If you have'nt tried it yet.....get either a auto stethoscope or a cutoff piece of broom handle or thick dowel rod.....and give a good listen all around the area....This usually helps ALOT in narrowing down the exact area the noise is comming from...[ not always of course ] Also might try and checking your fluids for METAL shavings or chips?....good luck

Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
tomtuna1978
Intermediate

how do i check trans fluid? and how tight should the primary chain tension be?

Quick Reply: berring/wurring noise ?