EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Medium well done primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Default Medium well done primary

So I I had some funny noises and maybe some chain slapping in my primary. Noticed it a few days ago and took a look through the inspection hole today and it's not looking too good. The chain was loose as hell and there wasn't much oil in it. I've got everything off except the inner cover. As best as I can tell it must have been leaking from behind the inner primary at the bottom of the motor. I never saw one drop of oil under it either. The adjuster shoe had shallow grooves in it but not too bad.

I'll finish pulling off the inner primary in the morning then go to cleaning everything. I"m planning on replacing the chain and all of the seals/gaskets in the inner and outer. I'll have to take a look at the clutch plates too. They were new from Barnett and had less than 2,000 miles on them. I'm hoping I don't have to replace them but not sure. Is there anything else I need to look at/replace while I've got it apart?

carl

Old 05-17-2019, 06:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
So I I had some funny noises and maybe some chain slapping in my primary. Noticed it a few days ago and took a look through the inspection hole today and it's not looking too good. The chain was loose as hell and there wasn't much oil in it. I've got everything off except the inner cover. As best as I can tell it must have been leaking from behind the inner primary at the bottom of the motor. I never saw one drop of oil under it either. The adjuster shoe had shallow grooves in it but not too bad.

I'll finish pulling off the inner primary in the morning then go to cleaning everything. I"m planning on replacing the chain and all of the seals/gaskets in the inner and outer. I'll have to take a look at the clutch plates too. They were new from Barnett and had less than 2,000 miles on them. I'm hoping I don't have to replace them but not sure. Is there anything else I need to look at/replace while I've got it apart?

carl
I doubt you'll have to replace your clutch plates because they should be good wet or dry.
About the only thing that kills them is incorrect adjustment.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,094 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Will be following this thread, going to be tearing into mine soon. I plan on using the Baker IPB.

Getting all the parts and tools together. My problem is I have a 1994. Don't know if it uses the early 1994 (and earlier parts) or the late 1994 on parts. I suppose I will find out when I take things down.

I agree with THC, your clutch should be good. Good luck with the project. YD

Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

The only tough part of this job will be sealing up the inner primary. I thought I did a good job last summer when I had my motor rebuilt. Evidentally not. Luckily I've got all the tools this time. I had the primary chain and clutch off in a few minutes.

carl

Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,466 Likes on 5,047 Posts

Model and year?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

How much is "not much oil in it" As long as you had a few ounces in it I doubt the chain is no good. They are much heartier than you think... Just fix the leaks and through it back in and get it adjusted properly... I set mine to 1/2".. Never an issue, not even with 110 hp.... By the way I'm still running my original chain with over 70K on it...

Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh that chain is shot. When I adjusted it prior I had about 7/8" in it. When I checked it the other day I could touch the top of the chain case with it easy.

I might have had about 1-2 oz of oil that drained out of the primary. The chain was original and had roughly 90k on it so I'm not sweating the money.

The bike is a 98 RKC. Parts are on order. I should have this buttoned up in a good week.

Carl

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Understood, peace of mind is the best tool..

Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah the chain is only $75 but they jack you $30 just for the stupid gasket!

carl

Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Yeah the chain is only $75 but they jack you $30 just for the stupid gasket!

carl
If you have an AFM gasket you can reuse it.

Quick Reply: Medium well done primary