EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dry clutch belt primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019 | 02:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by BrainPain
Twizted said this was an fxr primary, is that the shifter shaft hole for an FXR twiiZed ?
Nope holes too small and no bushing I can see, reread my last post......

Oh if there isn't a hose on the back no reason to be shoving anything into that hole, just something else to come loose and chew **** up.

Old 05-21-2019 | 03:04 PM
BrainPain
|
Cruiser

Agreed, leaving hole alone “0

left primary cover off over night, a little oil in case. Looks to me like the primary shaft out of the tranny, that seal is leaking, riding may fix, if not when I pull the clutch pack and replace the belt I’ll replace the seal.

Last edited by BrainPain; 05-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2019 | 08:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Cranks the same hot or cold, a mechanic told me a bad ground, I think weak starter or bookoo compression, I just don’t know at this point
I'd check the ground first.
Just loosen it and twist the fitting a few times then tighten it again.
That will tell you if your problem is a ground or not.

BTW if doing the above fixes your problem then go ahead and remove the ground and clean the connector and where it connects to for a real fix.
I like using a little Deoxit 5 on my electrical connections that have flat surfaces and dialectic grease on any spade or pin connectors.

Old 05-22-2019 | 08:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I'd check the ground first.
Just loosen it and twist the fitting a few times then tighten it again.
That will tell you if your problem is a ground or not.

BTW if doing the above fixes your problem then go ahead and remove the ground and clean the connector and where it connects to for a real fix.
I like using a little Deoxit 5 on my electrical connections that have flat surfaces and dialectic grease on any spade or pin connectors.

I got in the habit of using star washers between the cables and the ground surface, haven't a problem since.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019 | 12:52 PM
BrainPain
|
Cruiser

Replaced old ground wire with new one, everything cleaned good, battery tests good, and with battery charger on Start mode still doesn’t want to crank, just barely, looking like starter is suspect, but I will check ground at relay plate first.....can only be so many things right.

Old 05-23-2019 | 04:45 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Replaced old ground wire with new one, everything cleaned good, battery tests good, and with battery charger on Start mode still doesn’t want to crank, just barely, looking like starter is suspect, but I will check ground at relay plate first.....can only be so many things right.

For a test run a jumper wire from your positive post to the starter trigger post on your solenoid.
Basically you're just bypassing your harness and seeing if your problem is in your harness or your starter/solenoid.

Old 05-23-2019 | 11:32 PM
BrainPain
|
Cruiser

Oooo great idea......I must say this though when I was playing with it the other day I was hitting the starter switch which normally only provided a “click” but it hit twice. I installed a stand alone starter button when I developed “the click”. I will try the wire to solenoid, then pull the relay tray off and clean every connection, reinstall. If that don’t work I’ll weld a ground strap to the frame.....then move on to the starter. Thanks for the idea

Old 05-20-2020 | 01:51 PM
BrainPain
|
Cruiser

Hi guys I’m back !!!! Putting aside belt,oil issue for now. Bought new battery bike won’t crank. I hit the switch and starter engages but just won’t engine over, then right after starter engages The Solenoid wants to kick out, probably cause starter ain’t movin..... someone told me there’s two types of starters for this bike a short nose and a long nose I have no idea the difference is this correct or is there just one should I buy for an FXR like an 80 for any help is greatly appreciated. Oh starter will crank just fine if the plugs are out...sound like a bad starter then ???? This is the time to get this beast on the road “)

Old 05-20-2020 | 04:24 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Community Team

I didn't read the whole thread closely... but it's most likely the Hitachi version. Measure your starter body housing length. The Hitachi is about 5 1/4 long and uses 3/16" thru bolts. The Prestolite is 6" long has 1/4" mounting thru bolts.

And there ain't no way that inner primary is any later than an '88.

Just noticed this post about the oiler and 98Hhrfb is correct

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
As far as I know the primary would be an 86 or earlier. That's when they I believe they did away with the secondary chain oiler.. can you post pics of your bike and the primary with the cover off.?

Last edited by t150vej; 05-20-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2020 | 06:31 PM
BrainPain
|
Cruiser

Ok after putting in a hot battery, priming, hot starter about 30 times, and got bike fired up....yeah. 5.5 inch starter so it’s hitachi and ill look for one in a bit. Thanks for the help, I feel starter is the issue, of not l have no idea what it could be. Starter quits or can’t push through a full crank and often compression pushes the starter backwards after I get off the switch.....

Quick Reply: Dry clutch belt primary