EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Slip-on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slip-on mufflers

Does anyone know where I can find some decent slip-on's for a 1989 FLHTC and that doesn't take a crazy amount of carb re-jetting to make the package work well. I want the pipes to have a tone a bit better than OEM but still allow me to hear the tunes..Most places I have searched all cater to 1996 to present...Thanks for the help..
Doc A

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slip-on mufflers

I found a set of Screaming eaglemufflers on Ebay, although I liked my old pachos better.S&S makes avery nice performance slip-on muffler, that is still quite. anytime you change from the stock exhaust you will need to rejet.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:50 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Most reports are that if you just change the exhaust and not the breather you don't need to rejet. As long as you have that stock breather you still have the air flow restriction and you won't get more air and therefore not need more fuel.

You get the added sound but not noticeable power with just the pipes.

My $.02 only...

Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JP cycles...look at their website..

Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 PM
MikeyB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Cycle Shack slip ons, and the original Scream Eagle slips ons are made by them.

MikeyB

Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have them on my deuce along with the SE breather and a download. (stage 1) I love the look, the quality and the sound. Just right.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Dennis Kirk had Boomcans in their outlet store the last time I looked. I bought a set for about $88.00 (USD) for our FLHTCU. The one had a very small hole at the rolled end on the bottom, I dropped a little epoxy on it to cover it up and with a little time the epoxy was covered enough to not notice - I have been using them for a few thousand miles . They are louder than stock but not too loud, they are big (5") though and some will comment on their size sticking out the back of the bags, but when you are chugging up hills they give a really good old time Harley sound.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I run SuperTrapp slipons on my 93 FLHS. You can add or remove discs to get the sound/performance you want. IIRC, the initial recommendation is for 8 discs without doing any re-jetting. I'm running 18 in my setup (there is a max of 24-more discs=morenoise).

If you're concerned about the carb, have the bike run on a dyno. That'll tell you what the A/F ratio is through out the powerband.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
93 Bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hackd,
What size tool is needed to remove the SuperTrapp disc's? I pulled one of the end caps off and didn't have my glasses with me and didn't have an allen wrench to fit. What size allen or torx wrench is needed and what did you use for antisieze? Thanks in advance!

I might add that I love the sound (mello and not too loud) and didn't have to cut the flange off of my pipe to install a newer style muffler and clamps. I bought them used and the previous owner said all disc's that came with it are installed.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

It's a socket head machine screw. Uses andallen wrench, but off hand I can't tell you what size it might be. It's 'probably' somewhere around 3/32" to 5/32". (I just rumaged through my toolbox, I believe it's 1/8" because that's the size of the bastardT-handle allen wrench - I think it came with the 'kit'-that I've got). I used LocTitebrand anti-seize on all the threads. The stuff with the pulverized copper flakes in it.

The stock setup is a max of 12 discs. SuperTrapp recommended starting with 8 and working up. You can go up to 18 discs (per side)with the original bolts, but will need longer ones to go up to the maximum of 24 discs. The discs are sold in packs of 12, IIRC.

I'm running 18 discs with turn-outtipsand it's right where I want it, as far as sound goes. It's not obnoxiously loud, but definitely a better sound than the stock 93 mufflers were.

Quick Reply: Slip-on mufflers