EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is an EVO era Dyna right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is an EVO era Dyna right for me?

Currently, I am riding a V star 650, which I purchased early last year to 'get back in the saddle' after a 30 year hiatus from riding. Back when I rode in my late teens/early twenties, I was on a Honda CX500. Have never ridden a Harley.

Honestly, The V star is a decent enough cruiser for around town and winding back road highways around & about northeast Oklahoma. Once she is on the freeway though, she just seems to small and underpowered. To quiet also.

Now that I am driving (in my pick-up) almost an hour each way to and from work, I am looking for something more suitable for highway/turnpike use. While I browse craigslist and what-not, I keep being drawn to the late 90s Dynas (Wide Glides specifically).

A little bit of research shows they are about the same weight as my current ride, with a touch more HP and torque. I hear great things about this EVO engine also. And the pricing for this era model seems to be acceptable.

However.... Oklahoma roads are notoriously rough. I mean washboard hell rough. And add that to the fact Oklahoma is now raising speed limits on turnpikes to 80 (which means traffic flow will likely average 85+), and other highways to 75.

I've also read that, although a great motor, 80 is about the limit …. due to vibration.... for an enjoyable ride. So based on new Oklahoma speed limits, I would likely be continually near or over that limit.

Also, how will a Dyna handle the washboard, potholed roads of Oklahoma? I'm really not wanting to move up in class to a full dresser/touring model, but I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off doing so?

Advice and comments?

Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by journeymanjohn
Currently, I am riding a V star 650, which I purchased early last year to 'get back in the saddle' after a 30 year hiatus from riding. Back when I rode in my late teens/early twenties, I was on a Honda CX500. Have never ridden a Harley.

Honestly, The V star is a decent enough cruiser for around town and winding back road highways around & about northeast Oklahoma. Once she is on the freeway though, she just seems to small and underpowered. To quiet also.

Now that I am driving (in my pick-up) almost an hour each way to and from work, I am looking for something more suitable for highway/turnpike use. While I browse craigslist and what-not, I keep being drawn to the late 90s Dynas (Wide Glides specifically).

A little bit of research shows they are about the same weight as my current ride, with a touch more HP and torque. I hear great things about this EVO engine also. And the pricing for this era model seems to be acceptable.

However.... Oklahoma roads are notoriously rough. I mean washboard hell rough. And add that to the fact Oklahoma is now raising speed limits on turnpikes to 80 (which means traffic flow will likely average 85+), and other highways to 75.

I've also read that, although a great motor, 80 is about the limit …. due to vibration.... for an enjoyable ride. So based on new Oklahoma speed limits, I would likely be continually near or over that limit.

Also, how will a Dyna handle the washboard, potholed roads of Oklahoma? I'm really not wanting to move up in class to a full dresser/touring model, but I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off doing so?

Advice and comments?
Not sure where you read that as both my bikes are very stable and comfortable to ride even at triple digits.

As for your question about a Dyna being the right bike for you only you can answer that.
That said if all you're going to be doing with it is ride the highways then it wouldn't be my choice.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Not sure where you read that as both my bikes are very stable and comfortable to ride even at triple digits.

As for your question about a Dyna being the right bike for you only you can answer that.
That said if all you're going to be doing with it is ride the highways then it wouldn't be my choice.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...top-speed.html

It seems most mention the vibration getting to be more than they want to deal with at or just above 80ish, in that thread.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:47 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...top-speed.html

It seems most mention the vibration getting to be more than they want to deal with at or just above 80ish, in that thread.
That is another persons opinion and shouldn't be taken to represent everyone.

On my bikes 80 mph is about 3k rpms which is the harmonic resonance for them.
After you pass that point they smooth back out.
Women however seem to really like 3k rpms!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 376 Likes on 211 Posts
Default EVO 4 Ever.

I love my ’98 Wide Glide, and it’s my only weapon of choise for the time beeing.
But I would choose other tools for extensive long range speeding in excess of 80 mph.
Main reason is the need for better brakes.

But I have found good tips & tricks on this forum that will make noticable improvements.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:29 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

You are better off in the long run to get a touring bike, and take some stuff off when you don't need it. Evo 16" wheel on front and rear makes a nice highway bike. I believe you will get more bang for your buck going with a touring bike.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 PM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daven9113
You are better off in the long run to get a touring bike, and take some stuff off when you don't need it. Evo 16" wheel on front and rear makes a nice highway bike. I believe you will get more bang for your buck going with a touring bike.
I didn't realize that stuff was easy to take off the touring models... other than the switchback.... which is a Dyna, I believe, and not really a true touring bike (and not Evo). What model lines would you be suggesting? Would I be going up extensively in weight with a touring model?

Old 04-22-2019, 06:37 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

What model lines would you be suggesting? Would I be going up extensively in weight with a touring model?
Anything in the ElectraGlide models: FLHS (sport), FLHR (roadking), FLHT (standard, classic, ultra), FLT (tourglide classic, ultra)l. You're looking at anywhere from 850 pounds dry weight (FLHS, FLHR), up to 900 (or so) pounds, for the full tilt touring bikes with fairings/tourpacks/etc. Any of these bikes will run all day, every day, at speeds over 80 mph. And with a few simple modifications, they will do that two up, and not break a sweat.

I own a 1993 FLHS. Have owned it since new (04/93). It is a comfortable bike at 70-75 mph. Above 80 it just seems to require a bit more 'attention'. Probably due to the aerodynamics of a brick, and the big windshield. The stock Dunlop tires aren't a lot of help either. I will normally attack the interstates at the 65-75 mph speeds, with higher speed dictated by traffic. I've lightly modified my bike with: Cam, pipes, ignition, and carb tuning. It will run two up, with luggage, just as nice as solo.

Last edited by Hackd; 04-22-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,391 Likes on 2,751 Posts

I have had my 1997 Wide Glide since brand new, still in love with this bike. About 10 years ago changed to a Mikuni HSR42 carb and Andrews EV27 cam, she will run on the interstate at 75 MPH all damn day long and happy as can be. For me, I run no windshield so anything over 75 MPH is not going to be comfortable for cruising, but maybe with a detachable you can be comfy at 80, but that is going to be a personal thing. What works for me may suck for you. We rode this bike all over the east coast before Momma insisted on a full Touring bike. We did 500 mile day, two up with gear, from Long Island to Roanoke VA on all interstates, I was ready to go another 100 to make to NC, wifey not having it. Great bikes in my opinion that are extremely under valued. You can get into a nice unmolested one for under $5k, and they will go and go and go. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
journeymanjohn (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:27 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,390 Likes on 3,605 Posts

It's not a question if the bike can comfortable do consistent 80 mph cruise but if you can. I know 70 + for an hour will get to my neck without a windshield. a Cam upgrade and a little gearing change will keep it going all day long...

Quick Reply: Is an EVO era Dyna right for me?