EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is an EVO era Dyna right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 AM
journeymanjohn
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.

I think what I hear you saying is... just try it for a while as is and avoid lowering it. Possibly I'll just adapt. I will say that it is no longer painful, now that the aftermarket seat is history... and that is huge!!

Also you are saying that if I do decide to lower it, there is some leeway sort of 'built in' as various models came with various suspension components, and as long as I stay within that framework, I shouldn't need to concern myself with rake and trail measurements too much.

I also don't see how the fork length affects front fender clearance? The front fender is at a fixed distance from the tire.... unless I'm not seeing things correctly.

I will say I'm somewhat confused by all the various ways of measuring the forks. A couple of web pages mentioned measuring from the center of the axle to the top of the bottom clamp on the triple tree. I measured roughly 24.5" that way, iirc, with the bike on the kickstand. Now that will shorten more with me just standing it straight up, and even further with my weight added, and again, as you mention, fully compressed.

You mentioned measuring to the top cap (upper clamp, I assume). But then again, my forks stick thru that a 1/4 of an in or so. About like I've seen in every youtube video and pictures. So maybe the top plate thing is just for figuring rake and trail, and measure all the way to the end of the fork tube to measure the fork itself?

No worries though. If I decide to lower, I'll definitely consult a local professional. Most of my questions at this point (now that we are fairly confident it's a stock set up, both front and rear) is just for my own rudimentary understanding.... Proper way to measure forks (apparently the are multiple) , measure everything with rider on the bike or not (rake and trail with rider on, I think), how much can one typical vary the rear shocks without worrying about the front suspension (Very little?).

Thanks again everyone for making me feel welcomed here, and the input with my initial concerns about the 'new girl' in my stable.

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 05-17-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Hard

Lake, did your triple tree hit your fender when they did?
Nope.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:47 PM
jonnycando
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting debate...short legged people got to do what they got to do.....but us long legged people are stuck.....you can make a bike shorter....but there are limited ways to stretch it and make it taller!