EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1340 breather gear won’t move at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019 | 10:00 PM
Crazy16
|
6th Gear
Default 1340 breather gear won’t move at all

My 91 fxr the other day wen I came to a stop just shut off like 2 Sec after stoping starter wouldn’t turn motor over at all I put in 5th gear couldn’t even get bike to rotate back wheel finally when it did a little bit going backwards when I bumped it forwards again it made a squeaking sound. Checked primary side everything’s free unadjusted my push rods and removed can cover and my breather gear is like eating into my case and conpletly stuck won’t move at all rotate or come out what could be the cause of this and how can it be fixed any suggestions. Also top end was off bike recently and put about 750 to 800 miles on bike since but about 200 miles before it shut off bike was laid over on cam side bc of a wreck less car on my side of rd thank you for any input any one has

Old 04-10-2019 | 06:44 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Crazy16
My 91 fxr the other day wen I came to a stop just shut off like 2 Sec after stoping starter wouldn’t turn motor over at all I put in 5th gear couldn’t even get bike to rotate back wheel finally when it did a little bit going backwards when I bumped it forwards again it made a squeaking sound. Checked primary side everything’s free unadjusted my push rods and removed can cover and my breather gear is like eating into my case and conpletly stuck won’t move at all rotate or come out what could be the cause of this and how can it be fixed any suggestions. Also top end was off bike recently and put about 750 to 800 miles on bike since but about 200 miles before it shut off bike was laid over on cam side bc of a wreck less car on my side of rd thank you for any input any one has
Assuming you have the stock plastic breather gear sounds like some metal shards got embedded in it and started eating away at your case.
You're gonna have to get it out and overbore the hole the breather sits in and get a different breather.

Pictures of what you're looking at would be nice.

Old 04-10-2019 | 06:54 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Waiting around for us to guess at what could be wrong is just wasting time...

Disassembly is the only way to determine what to do next...

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019 | 06:56 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Assuming you have the stock plastic breather gear sounds like some metal shards got embedded in it and started eating away at your case.
You're gonna have to get it out and overbore the hole the breather sits in and get a different breather.

Pictures of what you're looking at would be nice.

I doubt that the plastic gear would be strong enough to lock up the motor...If you can see breather bore damage with the gear still in...the cases may not be salvageable...

+ 1 for the pics

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019 | 07:25 AM
86glider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crazy16
First off, punctuations would help to read your thread.Next thing, sounds like the breather may not have been gapped correctly.(too tight) ?

Old 04-10-2019 | 07:49 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea... we know that the Breather gear must be replaced [All the Internet experts know it anyway] but... a chance ya take... as said, the plastic gear is Not tough enough to lock the motor... the steel one is.. especially if the engine eats a Lifter roller....
BTW when/If my plastic breather ruins the Bore ... I will put in a Reed Valve and carry-on...

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:12 AM
Crazy16
|
6th Gear
Default Update

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Waiting around for us to guess at what could be wrong is just wasting time...

Disassembly is the only way to determine what to do next...

Found this piece between breather gear and case case is a little messed up in a spot now but have no clue where it’s from or wat it is

found 2 pieces of metal one between case n breather gear other inside breather gear almost remind u on a clip

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:20 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

The cam bearing OK?

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:38 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't see it too well on my phone. Is that a piece of piston retainer clip?

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:58 AM
Crazy16
|
6th Gear

I was thinking same thing piston retainer clip

Quick Reply: 1340 breather gear won’t move at all