EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Starter change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Starter change

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Evo section or the electrical section. I had the bike torn down for a bunch of wiring repairs this winter. After reassembly last weekend I put gas in the tank and went to start it. After a few revolutions the starter began smoking. Now I've had the bike for almost a year and it was always a little sluggish so I had a feeling a new starter was going to have to be put in eventually. Even after a new battery and start solenoid it changed nothing. OK so I ordered a new starter which showed up yesterday so I did a little research and found that the primary cover has to be taken off to remove a bolt at the end of the shaft in order to pull the starter out. Did that today and looked at the way it all hangs together. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined with cars and trucks but not bikes just to be clear. What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that if I take the nut off the end of the shaft and the 2 bolts which hold the housing to the inner primary it's all going to come off in one piece? If so it's going to be a really tight squeeze

Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Evo section or the electrical section. I had the bike torn down for a bunch of wiring repairs this winter. After reassembly last weekend I put gas in the tank and went to start it. After a few revolutions the starter began smoking. Now I've had the bike for almost a year and it was always a little sluggish so I had a feeling a new starter was going to have to be put in eventually. Even after a new battery and start solenoid it changed nothing. OK so I ordered a new starter which showed up yesterday so I did a little research and found that the primary cover has to be taken off to remove a bolt at the end of the shaft in order to pull the starter out. Did that today and looked at the way it all hangs together. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined with cars and trucks but not bikes just to be clear. What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that if I take the nut off the end of the shaft and the 2 bolts which hold the housing to the inner primary it's all going to come off in one piece? If so it's going to be a really tight squeeze
When you take the long bolt off on the primary side the starter drive gear needs to come off of that side before you take out the 2 bolts on the other side and take out the starter.
Pulling the clutch hub makes this job much easier.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member

I needed to take out the 2 through bolts and the starter came right out. I've never had to do this with any of my other bikes so I'm going in blind with this one. Because of my inexperience with bike mechanics I took out the 2 bolts that held the starter drive on where one of them snapped off inside. Drilling and tapping this hole with the space I have is going to seriously suck! A lot of times I learn by phucking **** up.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
I needed to take out the 2 through bolts and the starter came right out. I've never had to do this with any of my other bikes so I'm going in blind with this one. Because of my inexperience with bike mechanics I took out the 2 bolts that held the starter drive on where one of them snapped off inside. Drilling and tapping this hole with the space I have is going to seriously suck! A lot of times I learn by phucking **** up.
Do yourself a favor and take off the inner primary to drill and tap that hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't want to get that deep into it but I have no choice, I opened up a can of worms on a simple starter change. Like I said earlier I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but not on bikes so I guess this would be a good way to get more familiar with it. I'll know more once I get it apart but I wonder if there's enough material around the hole to put in a thread insert? Just a thought

Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM
jonnycando
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

You may as well dig deep....getting up close and personal with our bikes is the best way to get.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 533 Posts

I did the same to mine years back.I got lucky by drilling and tapping to 5/16 bolt while the primary was still in place.Like I said got lucky.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Is the 88 different than the 86? I know they changed, but don't remember when. I have the Hitachi style and I didn't have to take the primary apart or drill or tap anything to change it out to an All *****. Spins the motor like a top.