EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Went For Compression Releases And...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019 | 09:04 PM
Tony_N
|
Road Master
Default Went For Compression Releases And...

I had a ground up motor rebuild done 13,000 miles ago. The shop that did it did not install compression releases and it would kick back when hot. Thread on the build is here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...o-rebuild.html
I've had issues with the shop that did the build and won't be going back.

Southern Cycle and Head Hoggers are doing this work. When they pulled the heads, the valves looked terrible. Definitely didn't look like they had just 13k on them. They also pulled the jugs to look at the bores and the pistons. Rings had flat spots and the bores were scored.

They are going to clean up the head porting that should have been done originally, clean up the valves and re-grind the seats, viton valve seals, install compression releases, boring the cyclinders, Wiseco 10:1 pistons, Woods W6H.

Bob...98hotrodfatboy thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Tony_N; 01-31-2019 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019 | 03:51 AM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Still one of the cleanest RK's on the forums.
Was the crankcase externally vented?

Old 02-01-2019 | 04:29 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

When you own an HD that says you should own a set of wrenches and know how to use them.
That was always the case until the tail end of the baby boomers decided to fill their bucket list.
Now some mistakenly think they can own a trouble-free HD
When you rely on someone else, you better look at their resume and references.
Looking at your seats there -too dam wide! HS!
They must have forgotten stem seals or sized the guides about .003 over?
Do I see wear marks on the stems?

Never heard of flat spots on rings

With a proper cam I doubt you need CR releases...but that is for another argument
Good luck!

Last edited by Kingglide549; 02-01-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2019 | 05:31 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I've run that setup for quite sometime. Lots of usable power with reliability, providing the shop doing the work is reliable...LOL.... An 83 cc combustion chamber should get you to a reasonable static compression. 10.0-10.1:1with everything else your doing. You really don't want that ccp to high down there in the south. 190-192 would be sufficient to drive that cam... And yeah compression releases are a darn good idea... Save your starter.... I've always ran a 1.4 kw starter to aid in cranking speed...

Old 02-01-2019 | 06:48 PM
Tony_N
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Schex
Still one of the cleanest RK's on the forums.
Was the crankcase externally vented?
Thanks Schex...it's actually a Heritage Softail Classic. The crankcase was externally vented. The vent hose exits by swingarm near the oil drain hose. I do stick my hand down there periodically to make sure it is venting.

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I've run that setup for quite sometime. Lots of usable power with reliability, providing the shop doing the work is reliable...LOL.... An 83 cc combustion chamber should get you to a reasonable static compression. 10.0-10.1:1with everything else your doing. You really don't want that ccp to high down there in the south. 190-192 would be sufficient to drive that cam... And yeah compression releases are a darn good idea... Save your starter.... I've always ran a 1.4 kw starter to aid in cranking speed...
Thanks Bob...that's the reason I decided to go with the compression releases is because it would kick back when hot.

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
When you own an HD that says you should own a set of wrenches and know how to use them.
That was always the case until the tail end of the baby boomers decided to fill their bucket list.
Now some mistakenly think they can own a trouble-free HD
When you rely on someone else, you better look at their resume and references.
Looking at your seats there -too dam wide! HS!
They must have forgotten stem seals or sized the guides about .003 over?
Do I see wear marks on the stems?

Never heard of flat spots on rings

With a proper cam I doubt you need CR releases...but that is for another argument
Good luck!
Kingglide549 I do have quite of few wrenches up to 1 1/4" and 3/4 drive and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I've had jobs driving a heavy duty wrecker pulling drive shafts, axles and bumpers, putting fuel pumps on manual to be able to pull start a TT with electrical problems. Drove gasoline tankers, worked in gas terminals working on pumps and meters, rebuilding control valves and solenoids. Done electrical work from rough ins to renovations.

There are things that I have taken care of on the bike like wiring issues, changing out lighting, pipes, struts, rebuilding the carb, changing out the air cleaner, fluid changes etc..

For me it comes down to having the time to do it versus having the time to ride. Having worked 60 to 70 hours a week on rotating shifts, not turning down overtime when it was available, time with the family, taking care of things around the house didn't leave a lot of time and In a way it's a good thing I didn't considering the crank work that was needed.

The shop that did the original build had a good reputation as an engine builder, but it didn't go well in my case. Lesson learned.

It's also guys like me that keep shops run by guys like Scott Palmer, John Zanetti and Sean Culleton in business.

Old 02-01-2019 | 07:48 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Thanks Schex...it's actually a Heritage Softail Classic.
Lol, I knew that, guess that's what happens when your sinus is soo plugged you cant sleep, ain't had a damn head cold in years, sux

anyway, hope it turns out well.

Old 02-01-2019 | 08:02 PM
Tony_N
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Schex
Lol, I knew that, guess that's what happens when your sinus is soo plugged you cant sleep, ain't had a damn head cold in years, sux

anyway, hope it turns out well.
Schex I hope you feel better!

Old 02-02-2019 | 06:22 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I know what you mean Tony, I've been doing 60 hrs a week since last July.. 2 nights a week o/t and Saturdays... sure the money is good but it wears on ya. Thank god my wife is forgiving. Others need to be as considerate... It's not all peaches n cream..... Isn't that what you all southern boys in Georgia like?.... Lol.....

Old 02-02-2019 | 07:18 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

It's been my experience that 170-180 psi cranking pressure is where the HD starting system starts to throw in the towel.

If you hit the starter on a hot motor and there's any hesitation or obvious stress on the compression stroke (assuming all electrical components are up to snuff), you need CR's.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 02-02-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2019 | 10:40 AM
Tony_N
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I know what you mean Tony, I've been doing 60 hrs a week since last July.. 2 nights a week o/t and Saturdays... sure the money is good but it wears on ya. Thank god my wife is forgiving. Others need to be as considerate... It's not all peaches n cream..... Isn't that what you all southern boys in Georgia like?.... Lol.....
Yeah Bob...I did get a Georgia peach! I was born in the Bronx and raised in Plantation, FL. After we were married we lived in Sunrise, FL...both places about 5 miles from John Sachs.

The 35 years we've been together she was really understanding with all the shift work...nights, weekends, holidays. The towing and petroleum businesses are 24/7/365. The OT is nice, but I'm finally off the shift work and we're enjoying being able to spend more time together.

My next door neighbor in Sunrise was from Queens and is good friends with Andrew Rosa. Back around 1987 I remember him tearing his bike down to the frame to repaint and sending his motor to Andrew to rework. He still gets together for a ride with Andrew when he goes back to NY to visit.

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
It's been my experience that 170-180 psi cranking pressure is where the HD starting system starts to throw in the towel.

If you hit the starter on a hot motor and there's any hesitation or obvious stress on the compression stroke (assuming all electrical components are up to snuff), you need CR's.
Yeah buddy! I was at 180 ccp and when the motor was hot and I'd go to start it would kick back with one heck of a bang.

Quick Reply: Went For Compression Releases And...