Veteran: Navy
The following users liked this post:
ieatchickens (03-07-2019)
Old 04-01-2019 | 11:04 AM
ieatchickens
|
Road Warrior

***UPDATE***

Spring finally showed up and a 37 degree day was good enough for me to take the old girl out for a test ride. Man I should have done this years ago! I love the power down in the lower RPM ranges. Pulls like a 103. Other than the lower idle, the first thing I noticed is how and when I shift with the Baker DD6. Don't down shift near as often and have more response at lower RPMs in each gear. Way less downshifting!

Only got a to 60 MPH so don't have a feel yet for how the new setup will feel at Interstate speeds (75-80) hoping to get out this weekend for another ride.

Haven't noticed any valve train noise either. The Ina cam was original and with 70,000 miles was still in good condition but happy to have it out of my bike. Only issue is the motor won't idle unless it's warmed up for a minute so it may need some fine tuning for the cold idle. Other than that this upgrade has been smooth.

Stock Magnetti Marelli 80" Evo

Upgrades:

Screaming eagle high flow backing plate
K&N high flow filter
Ev-13 cam
Torrington cam bearing
Power Commander V
Custom Map
97 Stock ECM (thank you Diablo Dainese)

Thank you who contributed to this upgrade. Especially Diabolo Dainese for the donated ECM and Crashone and 1997bagger for the wisdom.

Happy riding.

Last edited by ieatchickens; 04-01-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2019 | 07:47 PM
Diablo Dainese
Novice

You are most welcome Vince!

Old 04-02-2019 | 08:43 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea Man!! You'll like it at highway speeds as well. You can get the idle dialed in, takes a little tweaking.
I bet that is nice and smooth with the six speed tranny.

Old 04-02-2019 | 12:35 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
***UPDATE***
Only issue is the motor won't idle unless it's warmed up for a minute so it may need some fine tuning for the cold idle. Other than that this upgrade has been smooth.

Stock Magnetti Marelli 80" Evo

Upgrades:

Screaming eagle high flow backing plate
K&N high flow filter
Ev-13 cam
Torrington cam bearing
Power Commander V
Custom Map
97 Stock ECM (thank you Diablo Dainese)
Whadda mean, motor won't idle when it's cold?

It should take 3 or 4 minutes (roughly) to get the motor up to temp enough for the temp sensor to kick it into hot idle.

Carl

Old 04-02-2019 | 10:12 PM
ieatchickens
|
Road Warrior

Cold start up. Roughly 37 degrees. Bike idle continues to drop until it dies. I was giving the bike some throttle until the end. Died shortly after. Once warm it idles just fine.

Last edited by ieatchickens; 04-02-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2019 | 10:19 PM
ieatchickens
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crashone
Yea Man!! You'll like it at highway speeds as well. You can get the idle dialed in, takes a little tweaking.
I bet that is nice and smooth with the six speed tranny.
The clowns I ride with are always cruising between 68-70 on our state highways. Drives me nuts because 70 MPH is my shift point into 6th gear. Feels like it lugs in 6th at anything less then 70. Always shifting to keep pace.

This upgrade is really going to make my rides much easier.

My Baker DD6 has me spoiled quite a bit. Rode a new Road King Special with the M8 and shifting that thing was a step backwards for me. The Baker is smooth.

Old 04-03-2019 | 07:49 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
The clowns I ride with are always cruising between 68-70 on our state highways. Drives me nuts because 70 MPH is my shift point into 6th gear. Feels like it lugs in 6th at anything less then 70. Always shifting to keep pace.

This upgrade is really going to make my rides much easier.

My Baker DD6 has me spoiled quite a bit. Rode a new Road King Special with the M8 and shifting that thing was a step backwards for me. The Baker is smooth.
Sounds like they'll have to keep up with you. Carry on!

Old 04-03-2019 | 08:58 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but does it sound like it's only running on one cylinder on a cold start up?

Old 04-03-2019 | 05:39 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Well something is wrong. No way it should have to crank over that many times to fire. I start mine cold every morning in the low 30s and it's running after 3 revolutions. I don't have to touch the throttle at all either.

First check the easiest thing, the cold idle adjustment screw. It may be missing or could just be screwed out way too far. You'll have to do a trial and error with it by turning off the motor, holding the throttle open pretty far, then adjusting the screw in and restarting the motor to check the cold rpms. (you have to hold the throttle open to get to the screw).

next up, try this: Remove the air cleaner so you can see the throttle plate. turn the ignition on but don't try to start the engine. The second the ignition is on, the throttle plate should move out a little bit. Turn the ignition off and the plate should move in, then out, then in again. If it isn't moving, the motor that moves the plate in and out could be shot, the connection to it could be bad, or the mechanism that rides on the throttle shaft could be bound up.

lastly, you may need to adjust your throttle position sensor. There is a video on how to do this. You can find it here or google it. I don't think this is it but you never know.

Overall, I think the problem you are having at startup is the engine is not getting enough fuel.

carl

Quick Reply: 96' Road King Cam upgrade with MM EFI