EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Internal throttle cable on Apes ? Is it Possible.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018 | 09:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Indeed - I don't like apes, but those bare bars look remarkably good. I'd like to know how the clutch cable has been hidden - or what it's been replaced with?
I bought a Margura hydraulic clutch made for HD, they do a lot of hydraulic clutches for dirt and metric bikes. Not sure if they are on the market any longer, the conversion shown is about ten years old using stuff from J&P. Using the hydraulic kit, I drilled holes into the bars to run the line internally. I also drilled some holes in the frame to run the line inside my down tube then it pops out under the transmission. Here is a shot from the other side, you can see the line entering the handle bars. I had planned on keeping the Flanders bars chrome but it flaked off during the modification process, decided to go black powder coating and it turned out to be a great accidental decision.

Brake line is a Russel builder's kit, turned out to be the same diameter as the hydraulic line. Purchased some fittings but it is not exactly symmetrical, but pretty close. Also you have to cut the bars shorter for the Exile throttle kit. Add in all the wires being internal, it was a tight fit but over one winter we made it all happen. no issues with the install and the bars are very comfortable.

The following 3 users liked this post by Architect:
grbrown (10-02-2018), Kingglide549 (10-02-2018), SimonR (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018 | 10:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I can see your brake lines better in that shot, thanks. Very neat.

Old 10-02-2018 | 08:33 PM
heavenlykid
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Architect
Yes, yes and yes. Here is a picture of my 1997 Wide Glide, I went full internals, throttle cable, hydraulic clutch line and brake line. I used the internal throttle from Exile Cycles, real nice piece. I have been checking out the new one from Nash Customs, his negates the return spring allowing for built in cruise control. My two older bike have no return springs and I have started to prefer that setup for long rides and rider fatigue. But if you like the return spring, I would recommend Exile unit all day. J&P sells one, it is junk stay away.

I customized the cable housing to put the adjuster elbow above the carb under the gas tank. Yes to adjust the cable I have to remove the rear tank bolt and lift the tank with a 2x4 , not a big deal as it is not something you do every 500 miles. And it is as clean as a nuns .........
why didn’t you use exiles internal clutch handle as well ?

Old 10-03-2018 | 07:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

why didn’t you use exiles internal clutch handle as well ?
[/QUOTE]
Though cool, it is a twist mechanism and wasn't sure I would like the function of it. At the time this was my daily rider and I was not looking to make it more difficult to ride. I often think about going to a jockey shift, but she does everything so well right now, I am leaving her alone except to ride.

Old 10-03-2018 | 08:58 AM
heavenlykid
|
Advanced

where do you guys order the exile stuff from I emailed them but they don’t reply ? Is there someone else To buy it from?

Old 10-03-2018 | 11:44 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sometimes calling them is better.

Old 10-03-2018 | 12:48 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I do not think they sell thru anyone, call them. Via email I have usually gotten Russel direct, they modified my headlight mount a couple of years ago, always to talked to him.