EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary fluid excess!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM
coylizard
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Primary fluid excess!?

My '88 FLHTC (Electraglide) recently developed a new oil leak.
About the same time, finding "neutral" became more difficult than usual.

The engine oil level remains constant and the transmission fluid remains constant.

I pulled the darby cover to inspect the Primary fluid level and found it had about 3/4 of a quart MORE fluid than what is called for!!!

I've not recently added any Primary fluid and again, the engine oil and transmission fluid levels remain constant.

Where did the excess come from???

Old 09-20-2018, 12:41 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

Probably the motor. It's not uncommon for the crank seal to leak and need replacing

Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Yeah, two potential issues. 1. Crank seal. 2. Crack in the case around the crank bearing/seal. Let's hope it's the first one, but inspect closely.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

So, the tranny fluid would not affect your primary fluid situation. What may occur is what is stated above.
What I would do is drain the primary (not just inspect it through the cover), then refill (not how much) and ride for the specified time or mileage (couple of hundred), and then drain and re-measure. This will definitely let you know if you have oil coming over from the engine.

On a 1988, your engine main seal probably needs to be changed, if you haven't do so. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM
coylizard
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments.
I appreciate your experience an insight.

My confusion results from the fact that as the Primary fluid volume increased, the engine oil and transmission fluid volumes remained constant.

Yes, i understand that the transmission fluid will not likely affect the Primary fluid volume and the increased Primary fluid volume is likely engine oil... but how can Primary fluid volume increase while the other volumes remains constant!!!???

As one increases another SHOULD decrease!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Simple. They aren't remaining constant. It's harder to notice engine oil disappear than it is to notice extra fluid in your primary

Old 09-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Originally Posted by coylizard
but how can Primary fluid volume increase while the other volumes remains constant!!!???
There is a very simple answer to that question...

It can not.

The excess lube is coming from either the engine or transmission, or you are over servicing. A motorcycle cannot manufacture oil.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:16 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Simple. They aren't remaining constant. It's harder to notice engine oil disappear than it is to notice extra fluid in your primary

Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,177 Posts

If the crank seal is leaking, it will only pull fluid out of the primary into the engine. I'll spare y'all the long story as to how I know that, but will say - it's a long ride from Seattle to Charlotte using a turkey baster and 7/16" wrench at every fuel stop...

There's only 2 ways for that to happen. A missing "screw" from the rotor connector clamp (red circle) or most often, the bearing sleeve is loose in the engine case usually causing a crack that's sometimes near impossible to see. (yellow arrow). Again, and even if it's totally shot, the seal will NOT let enough engine oil into the primary that you could ever measure.

Verify you're actually "making" primary fluid is the first thing to do before you panic. And yes, you won't notice much, if any engine oil missing until the primary is way overfull, if it's the bike fault. Let's hope your overfull issue was just a fluke mistake from the last engine service.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Like you said. Oil from the primary is gonna get sucked up by vscum pressure and not the other way stound. Makes sense!

as far as overfill, I can’t imagine how that is even possible. 3/4 of a quart? That a lot of oil

Quick Reply: Primary fluid excess!?