Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,038 Posts
Default Curvemaker HD or VOES?

See mods and year in my signature.

CV carb with a 48 slow and 190 main with CVP Velocity Needle. Bike is running good except for a little ping at 2800-3000 RPM's during light cruising throttle between 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, easy cruising on back country roads around 55 mph. Plugs look good and do not read lean. On the flat all is good, a slight grade will make it ping but as soon as I either back off, throttle it a little more, or downshift, it will go away. Yes, I know down shift is the way to stop ping, but the slight load increase without down shifting is what is causing my ping and I mean a slight load increase.

I have the Ultima 53-644 on curve #3 and premium fuel, still a hint of ping at mentioned RPM's and load.. Curve #4 and the ping is gone but it feels like curve 3 and 4 take something away from the power a little (seems to me it does). I know the advance curves under high vacuum is fairly aggressive with the Ultima. I have been studying the curves and comparing them to other brands.

So I am thinking with my mods, my newly replaced VOES (last year) either needs a slight adjustment, or I am thinking of changing the advance curves using CurveMaker, or both. The VOES is a 4 mm hg (stock for my Dyna) setting and was thinking of adjusting that in 0.5 mm/hg increments. My thought is, due to my current engine mods, I am pulling higher vacuum than "stock", so maybe I need a higher setting on the VOES.

My other thought is to customize a timing curve using CurveMaker that is low enough to "not ping" at that 2800-3000 rpm range, but still gives me more total advance at higher RPM's. It really does not ping (or I can't hear it) at RPM's that are lower or higher. So it sort of has me stumped.

An air/fuel ratio monitor is on my X-mas list, but by then the snow will be flying which puts me to next April/May. I thought about trying the above in the mean time. Looking for input. I can live with curve #4 if I have to.

I also have a few questions about the CurveMaker program if someone is interested answering. Thanks, YD

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

You should not have ping at that lo of compression even 9.5-1 compression should be good . I would get a Voes for a dresser and new hoses. Maybe lean from intake leak or hoses.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
You should not have ping at that lo of compression even 9.5-1 compression should be good . I would get a Voes for a dresser and new hoses. Maybe lean from intake leak or hoses.
Yep, something is wrong, ran 10-1 with a 42 intake closing W6H, 95 degrees, no voes, heavy bike, donut eating rider and could pull #2 single with no detonation, would drop to #3 with 2 up and tour pack. Havn't never ran a voes, if you have good AFR numbers throttle roll on shouldn't produce the rattle with that Ultima module unless pulling a loaded trailer lol

Your jets should be good for 80 hp but something to think about is you are on the needle when your issue occurs, until you get your AFR reader you may try and shim that needle up and see if it cures the detonation because #2 should run all day

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

How do you know if you are not lean, or fat?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

With that module, as well as most others for the Evo, there's a difference between "No VOES" and "VOES Grounded". One implies the bike is using the least advanced map 100% of the time, the other implies the more advanced (per each specific curve, of course).

Old 09-19-2018, 05:53 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,460 Likes on 3,639 Posts

I would start by disconnecting the voes and go from there... I know on my SE ignition module and my Dyna ignition module it's the green wire. Disconnect it and tape it off then go for a ride.. I do not use the voes any more because of that symptom. Light tip in detonation.... I also tried loading my own curves and it led to other issues. Currently curve 2, no voes and no issues.......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 09-19-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

“Light tip in detonation” is an excellent description to what I am experiencing.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding mid range and disconnecting the voes. That mid range fueling ran across my mind as well.

Disconncting the VOES seems easy enough for diagnostic purposes. Gonna give that a try first, then run it and see how it goes, then if needed or might do it anyways, tryneedle shim with and without Voes connected.

will there be a significant loss in fuel economy without voes? Thanks, YD

Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the green VOES light on your ignition come on during idle and turn off when you twist the throttle? It should work that way.

Also is switch #1 off (down)? Report back the way the switches are set. Remember to turn off the ignition each time a switch is changed so the new setting will take effect.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,460 Likes on 3,639 Posts

There probably will be at cruise but over all I don't think it would be too significant on the lighter Dyna.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rob85WG
Does the green VOES light on your ignition come on during idle and turn off when you twist the throttle? It should work that way.

Also is switch #1 off (down)? Report back the way the switches are set. Remember to turn off the ignition each time a switch is changed so the new setting will take effect.
I will have to double check the led light when I get home from work, I know it is on when bike is running, will have to look regarding off at opening the throttle. I assume light goes out at low vacuum. Same with switch, I know it's set to "VOES enabled", but again will double check.

Regarding VOES wire color, violet is what is used for my year VOES wire. Same with Ultima instructions...violet/purple is the voes.

Will follow up later today weather and work permitted. Thanks Gentleman, YD

Quick Reply: Curvemaker HD or VOES?