EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
I just replaced the front motor mount on my 1990 FLHS with a Biker's Choice motor mount from J&P. It now has an obnoxious vibration. I didn't tighten any of the motor mount bolts until I had the front stabilizer tightened. I then tightened the remaining bolts. The vibration is worse at low RPMs and makes the bag lids rattle at idle. I'm ready to put the old mount back in.

Does the mount need to "run in" or is it a poor choice in mounts? I cant see where I have anything mis aligned as that is set by the front stabilizer. I installed the new mount tapered side up like the original that came out.

I'm sure this has been covered before and did search for a while, couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Frank
Personally I think the generic part is your problem.
I haven't had much luck with them over the years.
My suggestion is get an OEM one and try again.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (09-19-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I'm using OEM mounts on my S&S 107" engine - seem fine to me! I also use a True-Track stabiliser kit, which I heartily recommend.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:34 PM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Last night I loosened all bolts associated with the front mount, started the bike and ran it at a variety of RPMs while sitting level on the wheels then shut it down and tightened things in this sequence: 1) bolts through motor to flat mounting plate, 2) bolts holding mount to frame, 3) center bolt through motor mount without over tightening. Still shakes ridiculously at around 1200RPM.

I replaced the motor mount because I have a new set of exhaust pipes to install and didn't want to crack the pipe where front and rear pipes join. The original mount from the bike looked solid when removed so I'm going to reinstall it to see if that resolves the problem.

I still have a couple of questions:

-Could I have misaligned or damaged something when I jacked the motor to clear the front motor mount for replacement? I didn't go crazy but did see some frame lift when jacking. I removed the motor bolt through the front stabilizer before jacking.

-Eventually the original motor mount will fail. I will get an OEM mount but there's lots of posts saying they cause additional vibration problems as well. What's the ultimate solution for a smooth mounting system; glide pro, OEM, other? This is an FLHS that was smooth before the mount replacement. It now seems to shake worse at 1200-2500 than my solid mount '82 Shovelhead FXB.

This is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM
yellowstone kelly
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
This is an FLHS that was smooth before the mount replacement. It now seems to shake worse at 1200-2500 than my solid mount '82 Shovelhead FXB.

This is driving me nuts.

Thanks.
Man.... I hate to read posts like this. I'm sure something like this would happen to me if I tried replacing my motor mount.

My '96 Heritage vibrates quite a bit as I get close to 70mph, and gets worse the faster I go after that. I read here about riders happily cruising along at 80 to 85 mph or faster. There's no way I could do that on my bike.

I'm still such a green newbie with EVO's that I don't have a clue what's normal and what should be addressed, regarding vibration.

Frank, I hope you get your shaking problem resolved soon. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Back when J&P was having fulfillment troubles a couple years ago, they sent me a $20 loyalty coupon. Used it to buy a new front mount for the Electra Glide. Probably the same one we're talking about.

Bad vibes for sure for the first however many miles. It eventually broke in, and now the bike is smoother than ever.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
FWIW they started that in the Twinkie years.
EVO parts came from the USA, Japan, and Italy.
My horn was made in France. Not to be confused with a French Horn....

Old 09-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Yellowstone, you dont have to worry about a front motor mount on your 96 Heritage. (you dont have that type) But if you have a lot of vibration check the four mounting bolts that holds motor to the frame. they will losen sometimes.

Last edited by Ruggs59; 09-15-2018 at 04:46 PM.
yellowstone kelly (09-15-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 12:04 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

I bought a mount off ebay for about 30 bucks. Shook like crazy at first-took about 30 miles to smooth out. Actually,I was ready to turn around and go home just before it smoothed.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,818 Likes on 687 Posts

Regarding the post about mounts being made in tiawan/china, I just got a rear mount for a '98 Evo Dyna from Boardtracker HD and it had Made in USA stamped on it. I would bet that mounts from aftermarket suppliers are made in Asia. Paid about $30 more but I have had trouble with aftermarket ones. Lets see if the extra $30 was worth it.

tar_snake (09-19-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM
Jake707
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I put an Alloy Art poly front motor mount on my FXR when I put the new 131 in and it definitely has more vibration, not sure if that's due to the new motor Im still breaking in or the stiffer mount, but I have about 100 miles on it now and it didn't smooth out. I did a similar sequence installing it as mentioned above. I think I might just get a new oem rubber mount and swap it out

Quick Reply: Front Motor Mount Replacement