EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV carb jetting

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018 | 09:26 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I have an occasional pop on de-accel, but not at full throttle. It happens when I’m puttin’ 30-45 mph, accelerate through a sweeper or up a small incline, then ease off the throttle.

Mixture screw only controls up to around 1500 on a CV, you are on the needle in the range you are talking, shim the needle up or live with it if your wanting to squeeze mpg.

Old 09-09-2018 | 09:57 AM
GOGOBECK
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info.

I’m not sure what the rpms are when she pops... I’d guess I’m right around that 1500 rpm range. Just loping along at an easy pace, close to that 1500 rpm, then roll on the throttle up to 2500 or so... it seems she pops late in the de-acceleration.... like when I’m getting back closer to 1500 rpm.

Shim the needle up?

The needle had five notches... It’s set in the middle.
Would I move the clip to the notch closer to the working end of the needle?

Old 09-09-2018 | 10:32 AM
Fran To
Advanced

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
’97 FLHR: kerker slip on mufflers with stock headers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, Screaming Eagle ignition, EV13 cam.

My gas mileage has deteriorated bit by bit through the last 3000 miles or so, and I recently noticed a sluggishness with throttle response and overall performance. (Felt very rich and the plugs were a bit sooty at the base of the ground prong, mufflers a bit sooty, and started getting backfires on de-acceleration)
In checking things I uncovered intake leaks at all three seals. The diaphragm had a hole, and the slide needle clip had come off.
I took the carb to a local Indy to install a V-Twin carb kit. He says he set the needle and mix screw to midpoint.
This carb had been re-jetted in ‘97 when the bike was new and has always performed nicely. I vaguely remember the slide spring being changed to a lighter version at the time. I thought the diaphragm material seemed thinner than what came in the kit too.
The jet sizes seem a bit weird; 45 and 150.

I haven’t reinstalled the carb yet, but just wondering if I should change out that main jet before reinstalling the carb. I’m not sure which spring he reinstalled or if there is a difference.
Any input from you tuners is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I’m not drilling a hole in my pipe for an AFR... lol

Check out v twin cafe online motorcycle performance guide. I have a similar setup at stage 3 and drilled small hole (not where needle sits) with 1/8 " bit. My low speed jet is 52 and main is 191. No popping no keihin caugh and mileage is decent. I tried 5 different configurations and purchased all jets online. Fraction of cost versus dealer. You will learn a lot of good info from the website. I rebuild carbs and also change the fuel inlet with brass because the plastic will crack and leak.

Old 09-09-2018 | 11:10 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

While the idle mixture screw is commonly only under operation until just off idle to 1/8 throttle, RPM is not as relevant to when that fuel passage is in play. For instance, if you're doing a dyno pull and slam the throttle closed even though the engine is spinning down from 6000 rpm you bet your *** the idle mixture passage is dumping 100% of its fuel because the throttle is closed and the bike is still running.

Sweet spot is 3 turns out on the idle mixture screw at anything less than 2000' elevation. Have you removed the plug from where the idle mixture screw is located?

Old 09-09-2018 | 11:11 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Also, can we get a pic of the main jet if you have one? I'm concerned about that 150 main and I'd like to see if it's a Keihin or DJ jet.

Old 09-09-2018 | 03:34 PM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior

Gogobeck, Ive got a similar set up as you, '98 Evo Dyna, SE slip on's with stock headers, Big Sucker intake, Dyna 2000i ignition and EV13 cam. I bought an already modded carb, came with a 48 pilot jet and a 195 main jet, lighter spring and a drilled slide. Thoes jets were way too rich. Ive since backed them down to a 45 pilot and a 185 main and could possibly come down to a 180 main jet. This winter Im going to return to a stock non-drilled slide. Before all these mods I got a steady 48-50mpg. After engine mods (cam, ignition, etc) and extra rich jets I dropped to about 32 mpg. Since backing down to 45/185 jets, Im at about 40 mpg. I get my CV carb parts and jets from CV Performance, never had a problem with their stuff.

Old 09-09-2018 | 03:51 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

All you are doing is getting the whole internet to help you guess without an AFR unit installed.
Why do that?

Old 09-09-2018 | 05:26 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Also, can we get a pic of the main jet if you have one? I'm concerned about that 150 main and I'd like to see if it's a Keihin or DJ jet.
Posted how to check the jets in a earlier post, a DJ jet will not fit in a CV emulsion tube and a CV jet won't fit in a DJ emulsion tube, the orifices sizes are the same. A Dynojet jet has DJ stamped in it right before the number.

You are not too rich or the exhaust wouldn't be gurgling or popping which is present right now, a 45 and 185 works well in a early intake timing cam bump like a EV13 . If the slight gurgle doesn't phase you then leave it alone, if it bothers then you know what rpm's the exhaust pop is coming in so you know what circuit is lean. Since you don't have a spot on rpm the pop occurs, making changes needs to have more information, wouldn't touch nothing until you ride it for a while and pin point the problem area.

Many of us tune with equipment and not just guessing, I've road many miles with a Wego live on a modded CV, Mikuni 45 and a R1/Super G, carbs are more of a controlled drip and we seem to over think them thinking the dinosaur technology is a precision measuring devise and learn a lesson.

On your needle question, raising the needle would require lowering the clip, if your taper is aggressive on the needle it may make your situation too rich or maybe just right, you never know, the center notch is a starting point but they make different tapered needles. The needle controls your cruising range afr's and affects mpg so it is a fine line, run my engines rich and not worried about fuel mileage, saving dimes can cost a engine plus you won't have a shotgun go off in the exhaust pipe. Leave it alone and RIDE the bike.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 09-09-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2018 | 05:30 PM
GOGOBECK
|
Road Warrior

I’ve been running up and down the same 5 Miles of road in the misting rain all afternoon... I think the cows have had about enough of me.

The bike starts easily, idles nice and runs great at anything over that 1/8 throttle. No pops on de-acceleration.

At any speed, when just barely on the throttle, it is not smooth, a bit jerky... I can tell when she moves to the high circuit. I’ve adjusted the low speed mix screw in 1/8 increments clockwise until almost seated and counterclockwise until it’s almost falling out. In the middle about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 turns out from seated, is best, but still not smooth.

I was originally concerned about the 150 main, but I understand that to be an air jet and only really in play when the slide moves up... is that right?

I called the guy that tuned this carb 22 years ago;
He says what he did was change the jets and enlarged the hole in the slide, should have the stock spring in it. The old slide has two holes in it, one dead center and one off center. not sure if that’s how they come.

As far as installing an AFR gauge, I just don’t want the bung in my pipe or the gauge on the bike and I don’t want to spend the money on a one time usage thing.
If I were constantly changing things on the bike, I would absolutely put one on her, but I figure once it’s dialed in, I should be good for another 22 years.

Old 09-09-2018 | 06:11 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
While the idle mixture screw is commonly only under operation until just off idle to 1/8 throttle, RPM is not as relevant to when that fuel passage is in play. For instance, if you're doing a dyno pull and slam the throttle closed even though the engine is spinning down from 6000 rpm you bet your *** the idle mixture passage is dumping 100% of its fuel because the throttle is closed and the bike is still running.

Sweet spot is 3 turns out on the idle mixture screw at anything less than 2000' elevation. Have you removed the plug from where the idle mixture screw is located?
You are correct BUT even tho the engine isn't loaded requiring fuel, it is on the idle jet and mixture like you said, it is pulling air back thru the exhaust in reversion along with the mid needle is shut off and accell pump is eliminated, we are going to be lean lean pop pop. That is why a carb needs to have fuel carry over and on the rich side to battle this, on EFI you add fuel in the low throttle position and high rpm areas to control decel pop. Reasons for why I say you can drive yourself nuts trying to get a carb to be precision with equipment when it is a prehistoric measuring device alone with no equipment but a carb kicks a$$ on a Evo.

Quick Reply: CV carb jetting