EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Pulling the Diagnostic Code 96' Road King EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:38 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Pulling the Diagnostic Code 96' Road King EFI

Check engine light keeps coming on while riding and I'm try to pull a code. Followed the service manuel (yes I have one) but it doesn't work. It's also doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

I can't get the fuel pump to pressure up unless the engine run switch is already on. So this sequences doesn't make sense to me. Any help?

Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

This is how I do it:

1. Turn the ignition switch ON OFF ON OFF ON then leave it on.

2. Wait for the flashing lights

3. When the flashing lights stop, now wait for the flashes and count them. If you have code 14, it will flash once, pause, then flash four more times.

If there are multiple codes, it will flash them next. If there are no more codes, it should flash the same one over and over.

Keep in mind if you turn the ignition ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON too fast or two slow, you may not ever get any flashes. You may have to try it a time or two before you get the speed just right.

carl

Old 08-24-2018, 01:28 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

A check engine light that turns OFF and ON while riding or turns ON and stays ON for about 10 seconds when you start the bike would be a historical code most likely.
A bad start with a back fire or a loose battery cable is a common cause.
I am going to take a guess the code is 56.
Make sure the run/stop switch is on RUN.
does this work for you?:
Again, Make sure the run/stop switch is on RUN...you will only cycle the KEY switch
1-turn ignition key switch to ignition and then turn off 1 second after fuel pump stops.
2.repeat #1 again..remember 1 second after pump stops
3.turn ignition key switch to ignition again and wait about 8 seconds for a bunch of flashing of the check engine light
it will then stop for 2 seconds..get ready... these are the codes you must count:
it will slowly flash 1,2,3,5....there is NO 4....this is the first digit of the 2 digit code ..so it can only be 1,2,3,5 __ __
then a 2 second pause...then you will get second digit of the 2 digit code..it can only be 1,2,3,4,5,6
remember after the complete 2 digit code is given you will go back to the rapid flash sequence..
there are a total of 15 codes available with this procedure
examples
52,53,54,55 bad news ECM replacement
56 crank/cam sensor
11 throttle sensor
12 barometric 14 engine temp. sensor 15 intake temp sensor
23 and 32 are injectors front/rear
24 coil
33 fuel pump relay--in this case you would not hear the pump but instead waited 3 seconds after the on / off sequence
To CLEAR code, disconnect negative battery cable for a second or two.

Last edited by im; 08-24-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:58 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

I actually used the search button and came up with the solutions you two describe before I posted my question. Kill switch is always in the run position (I never use it) Tried numerous times and I only get the check engine light while the fuel pump is pressuring up and then it stays on for another two seconds and goes off.

Even tried different pauses Nothing.

Guess I might be resigned to unhooking the battery cables and clearing the codes and hope for the best.
​​​​

​​​

Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have no codes and everything is fine, the light will come on every time you start the bike then go out. You can still check for codes though. If no codes are present, when you go through the ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON routine, you will get a bunch of rapid flashes, pause, bunch of rapid flashes, pause, that repeats itself until you turn it off.

I still think you may be doing it wrong. Forget about the fuel pump altogether. Whatever it does when you are trying to retrieve codes, ignore it. Go through the ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON sequence but do it a little slowly and without stopping.

carl

Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Forget about the fuel pump altogether. Whatever it does when you are trying to retrieve codes, ignore it. Go through the ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON sequence but do it a little slowly and without stopping.

carl

Old 08-26-2018, 10:49 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

Okay, I'm always willing to be wrong unlike Mrs ieatchickens. Here is how I'm trying to get codes to work:

Maybe you are correct and there is no code. The check engine light goes off after a few seconds after a start but comes on and off while riding It's been a busy weekend but may check some connections later this evening like suggested above.

Last edited by ieatchickens; 08-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Now this may be way off base as I know nothing about EFI but have you looked for wire chafe or something that could be causing that light to go off and have nothing to do with trouble codes???

Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
Okay, I'm always willing to be wrong unlike Mrs ieatchickens. Here is how I'm trying to get codes to work:

https://youtu.be/yzOeh9lK6BY

Maybe you are correct and there is no code. The check engine light goes off after a few seconds after a start but comes on and off while riding It's been a busy weekend but may check some connections later this evening like suggested above.

way way way too slow. See if you can find a youtube video on this. There are probably plenty. I'm thinking about 5 seconds for the whole sequence.

carl

Quick Reply: Pulling the Diagnostic Code 96' Road King EFI