EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 FXR mid control question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:56 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1985 FXR mid control question

My buddy just bought a 1985 FXR super glide. It has forward controls. But at his height he wants mid controls. Can he use any set of mid controls made for a harley? And then has to buy the brake rod , shifter linkage and any other parts? Or do aftermarket mid controls have to be geared specifically for a FXR? Anyone know if Roland Sands mid controls could be used and then other hardware he has to buy to be used with the roland sands mid controls? Or if anyone can recommend other brands and what hardware he would need. And since he doesnt have a hole in the primary for mids since he has forwards. Could a hole be drilled to mount the mids or should he get a primary cover made to accept mids?

Old 06-26-2018, 01:07 AM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Been a long time since I did this swap, believe I had to buy a new primary cover maybe even the inner. Don't see why anybody's factory replacement mids wouldn't work

Old 06-26-2018, 01:17 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

He needs mids made for an fxr. I have no clue what you mean by controls geared for a specific bike. No he cant drill a hole in the primary, christ, you know theres fluid in there right? Theres seals and all sorts of ****. Honestly have him take the bike to someone with knowledge of working on bikes... fxrs are too nice to mess up.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:33 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I know my 99 FXR has a clamp on right peg mount, vs. bolt on for my dyna.

“Geared” is sometimes used as a synonym for “designed”

Old 06-26-2018, 09:23 AM
duffer1960
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, you would need both a new inner and outer primary cover. NO DRILLING NEW HOLES! They are specifically designed for having the shifter rod pass through.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,700 Posts

An FXR Came originally with the Correct stuff!!!
Anyone who put Forwards on was probably not Intellectual enough to replace the Inner Primary!!
Just Plug the Hole...
On the Outer primary? the Inspection cover is what has a hole in it.. with Bushing! The Outer from a Dresser will work [Early 5 speed, Only]
The Footpeg Mounts are Specific to the FXR, as are the Brake setup... I am not so Sure the Shifter cannot be "adapted" tho I never did that.
Not Rocket Science... Just FXR Specific! Good luck... so Many got Hacked... maybe you can find some Parts locally.. I won't use Ebay for such... but, have heard there is a Face Place with some kind of "Register and Play" stuff goin on!! I would rather suffer with Cheap *** forward controls than either of those options....

Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. And reading your responses just solidifies why I wont due important work on bikes. Now I feel stupid when I asked about drilling a hole. Once I posted my question I said to myself maybe he just needs a different inspection cover. One of our brothers in our MC sells parts for bikes. So he will order stuff from him and not ebay.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,321 Likes on 7,920 Posts

https://www.fxrdivision.com/fxr/

Most of what you need can be found at FXR Division. I've dealt with them before & been quite happy with their parts & customer service.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
https://www.fxrdivision.com/fxr/

Most of what you need can be found at FXR Division. I've dealt with them before & been quite happy with their parts & customer service.
Nice to have choices... But... seems very Pricey for "Chrome"... I'll just keep searching personally.. But, I prefer O.E.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Hopefully the shifter shaft is still there if not the inner primary has to come off.

Quick Reply: 1985 FXR mid control question