Lean CV Carb #27492-96

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Default Lean CV Carb #27492-96

So I have this carb on my bike. Part number 27492-96. Not sure why it is on my 1994, but it is the carb that the bike came with when I bought the bike used.

I removed all the dynojet stuff that was in the carb when I purchased this bike and it now has a 46 slow and a 175 main with a CVP "Big Twin" N65 type needle and that ran OK prior to my top end rebuild and cam install (Vthunder 3010).

Now the bike is running lean with the above jetting so I started snooping around on what jets are being used in CV carbs with bolt in cams, and came across a couple of posts about my carb having sort of a "silent recall" . Never found the recall number but did find the info that a "Carburetor Update Kit, Part No. 27365-98" was made that included a new needle, 180 main jet, and a new float chamber assembly.

Curious if anyone knows why the float chamber was changed in this kit? I am guessing it has something to do with the accelerator pump? As far as the replacement needle, it has a part number 27255-96 but can't seem to find any info on the needle either.

So just wondering if someone can shed some light on the float chamber difference or any experience with this carb and carb update kit. I originally planned on going to a 48 slow, and if that checks out then trying a 180 main to see if it helps my lean condition, but now I am wondering if I should try to find one of these update kits for my carb. YD

Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

According to the parts manual I have, your bike should have had Keihin CV carb #27206-93. I have no idea what the difference between that carburetor and the one you have might be. I do know that Harley was always tinkering with the jetting during the '90's trying to find the right balance between emissions and allowing the bike to run. Whatever carb you had, it was set up on the ragged edge of lean. Unfortunately, I can't be of more help, as I haven't run a CV carb on my bike for 16 years. I'm sure somebody else here can recommend something. There's lots of info around on the CV carb.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:17 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

For whats its worth i run 48/190 and i have the same cam.

The following users liked this post:
RGranville (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes the bike came with a newer model carb. Why? I have no idea...bought it used.

i found a “float chamber kit #27365-98” that was designed to correct the lean issue with my model carb based on the silent recall. It will be here in a few days and will be interesting to find out why the kit includes a replacement bowl.

i know the kit is for stock engines so your jetting info is a big help. What needle do you use and is the needle shimmed? What kind of mileage are you getting?

Right now the the spark plugs show zero color. You can see a very small amount or trace of color on the base ring and maybe a slight touch on the electrode. This is with a magnifying glass. To look at it with just my eyes the plug looks like a brand new one even after say a 50 mile ride. Again, really no color at all, but definitely no spots or metal ***** on the porcelain. So I am pretty close.

This is a fresh rebuild and cam install and initially I was using the pre-rebuild plugs. The lack of color was not noticed till after I swapped to new plugs after about 50 miles post rebuild. I did open up the mix screw a little but no real change. I do not get a lean surge while letting off the throttle while on the main circuit. It seems more in the lower and mid range so going to start with low and work my way up the circuits. Thanks again, YD

Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Found a NOS update kit for my carb (as mentioned above) and installed it today. It looks like the accelerator pump squirt hole is a little smaller than the original, and there is a different type of accelerator pump feed hole in the bowl when compared to the old one. The replacement bowl in the kit actually has what looks like two feed holes compared to the old only having one. It came with a 180 main jet and I installed a 185 main. I thought I had a 190, but 185 was the biggest I could find in my stash of carb parts.

It also came with a NOKM needle and I installed that using one brass shim on the needle.

Also installed a 48 slow and it's currently at 1-3/4 turns out (close enough, will fine tune as I go along and as the engine breaks in more). Also checked and adjusted the float level. I will pick up a 190 main and give that a try also, but the 185 seems fine for the short test run that I made. There is more appropriate color to the plugs now vs. what I had in the previous 100 miles total. Will continue to watch as I put the miles on the bike.

I sure can feel the difference in how it runs and pulls. Really noticing the cam now. The kit seems to have eliminated the strong odor of fresh fuel when I really pull the throttle like it did prior to installing the update kit. I was also getting a wet air filter so maybe the smaller accelerator pump hole has something to do with that. So far I am happy with the 50 dollar update kit and the re-jet. Hope I'm getting her dialed in. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 05-22-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Yankee, I also have one shim under the needle. Mileage is low 40's, your 185 main is probably real close..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,422 Likes on 3,622 Posts

Glad to hear your making progress, Dog.........

Old 05-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Daedalus
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I went from a sneezing, coughing, hesitating, stroke-missing and backfiring bike with the slow 45 to a nice running one with an 48. Until I checked the spark plugs after a 1000 kilometers only to see they were pitch black.

On this board I read about the existence of a 46 slow, one I can't find here in the Netherlands. I really think this might be a missing link and ordered one in the UK on ebay. Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by Daedalus; 05-23-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Daedalus
I went from a sneezing, coughing, hesitating, stroke-missing and backfiring bike with the slow 45 to a nice running one with an 48. Until I checked the spark plugs after a 1000 kilometers only to see they were pitch black.

On this board I read about the existence of a 46 slow, one I can't find here in the Netherlands. I really think this might be a missing link and ordered one in the UK on ebay. Can't wait to try it out.
Technically, Harley does not make a 46. After market does, but not Harley. So that is probably why you were having a hard time finding one. Harley has a 45 and then jumps to a 48.

Not sure if its worth it or if they ship overseas, but check "Jets R Us" or "CV Performance".

Getting back to the 48 being to rich, did you try adjusting the mixture screw to see if it helped? How about checking your float level? Float level can affect rich or lean as well. YD

Old 05-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Daedalus
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Getting back to the 48 being to rich, did you try adjusting the mixture screw to see if it helped? How about checking your float level? Float level can affect rich or lean as well. YD
Yeah, I did, both pilot screw adjustment and float level. It is running as lean as possible on the 48, but still too rich. On my 45, I raised the level and openend up the pilot screw as much as possible, still too lean. Time will tell, it should arrive tomorrow

Quick Reply: Lean CV Carb #27492-96