96 Road King squeaky brakes after pad

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 01:34 PM
LM_
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Road King squeaky brakes after pad

Good Day!
I recently replaced my rear brake pads and unfortunately now they squeak. Not just when they are applied, but rolling down the road with a harmonic tone. Other than removing and re-applying some grease, do any of you have any insight as to why this suddenly started happening? The old pads were OE with about 38000 miles. The rotor isn't perfect it has some very subtle ridges. Maybe it's glazed? I suspect I may have to rebuild/replace the caliper as it may not be rebounding correctly. What about light sanding on the pads? I'm trying to correct it without removing the wheel to install a new rotor. Thank you for any help.

LM

Old 05-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Daedalus
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

How is the drag of the brake after it has been released? Have you cleaned the exposed part of the caliper pistons before pressing them back into their barrels when fitting the new pads? The old pads wear down, giving the piston(s) more room to come out of the caliper. The exposed part corrodes or at least gets dirty. When you just press the piston back without cleaning it first, it can cause more drag than usual, because the piston hardly travels back after the brake has been released.

Not sure what the type of the caliper is, but when its a single piston caliper with a self centerin sliding mechanism, make sure this does what it is supposed to do. Sometimes these calipers keep one of the pads partly engaged after releasing the brake.

What kind of brake fluid are you using? DOT 5.1, or the silicon based 5.0? 5.0 attracts water like nothing else, causing vapor issues. Hows the level, isn't it over filled now the pads are thicker?

Last edited by Daedalus; 05-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LM_ (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:48 PM
LM_
1st Gear

I didnt clean the caliper so I’ll do that now. I did a flush/fill with dot 5. Thank you for the help. Worst case I get a new caliper.

LM

Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by LM_
Good Day!
I recently replaced my rear brake pads and unfortunately now they squeak. Not just when they are applied, but rolling down the road with a harmonic tone. Other than removing and re-applying some grease, do any of you have any insight as to why this suddenly started happening? The old pads were OE with about 38000 miles. The rotor isn't perfect it has some very subtle ridges. Maybe it's glazed? I suspect I may have to rebuild/replace the caliper as it may not be rebounding correctly. What about light sanding on the pads? I'm trying to correct it without removing the wheel to install a new rotor. Thank you for any help.

LM
Been down this road and I hate it. Ok Find an outta way road and get going about 50 mph.
Get on the rear brake as hard as you can Without locking it up. Slow down to as close of a stop as traffic permits.
Speed up and cruise about 40 -50 mph for about a mile and do it again. Say 10 times.

This will seat/burnish the pads to the rotors. This has worked for me and few buddy's around here.
Anymore I stick with OEM pads just cause they work with almost no squeaks or noise from the get go

All this after you know the caliper pins are lubed and caliper in good shape.

WP

The following users liked this post:
LM_ (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:18 PM
LM_
1st Gear

Thank you

Old 05-07-2018, 03:56 PM
LM_
1st Gear

Took the caliper off, cleaned/greased pins, greased backs of pads, bled and test drove. PERFECT

thanks for the help

LM