EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018 | 05:04 AM
Fblo1690
|
Road Master
Default Help with intakes

im not too crazy about the Mikuni Breather setup on my EVO. The carb just pushes into the intake and is held on by the brackets that go to the heads and air filter. Was looking up different kits. A lot of them show an adapter piece that looks like it screws onto carb? But I don’t see any threaded holes on intake of carb.

is there a good kit someone knows about? Like a bracket that bolts to the heads and holds the carb in place that will allow me to use a different filter? Perhaps a horse shoe one that uses breather bolts without the hoses. Im going for a clean look. Thanks in advance.

i want something like this but don’t see how it would work?

i found adapters... some say they work others say not so much. Not interested in rigging up washers to make it fit. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited by Fblo1690; 05-05-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2018 | 05:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

It always helps to tell us the model and year of your bike, in fact you can put in your sig, so we always know. If you check this parts website you will see that your set-up is the same as stock. IMHO you should be happy and certainly have nothing to worry about! Countless other Harleys are exactly the same. Your carb is fine and ain't going anywhere else.

Old 05-05-2018 | 06:04 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Get an S$S E and resolve all your issues....

Old 05-05-2018 | 06:10 AM
Fblo1690
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
It always helps to tell us the model and year of your bike, in fact you can put in your sig, so we always know. If you check this parts website you will see that your set-up is the same as stock. IMHO you should be happy and certainly have nothing to worry about! Countless other Harleys are exactly the same. Your carb is fine and ain't going anywhere else.
sorry. 1997 Fatboy EVO. I’m more interested in cleaning up the hoses that are needed for the crank breathers. Maybe I can just get some bolts that have screens in them. Indont like the hose running down or the filter hanging down behind my air cleaner.

Old 05-05-2018 | 06:30 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fblo1690

sorry. 1997 Fatboy EVO. I’m more interested in cleaning up the hoses that are needed for the crank breathers. Maybe I can just get some bolts that have screens in them. Indont like the hose running down or the filter hanging down behind my air cleaner.
If your looking to clean that area up by removing hoses and using only filters at the bolt head, keep in mind all the oil mist that will get all over everything including the carb and heads...

Old 05-05-2018 | 07:01 AM
Fblo1690
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
If your looking to clean that area up by removing hoses and using only filters at the bolt head, keep in mind all the oil mist that will get all over everything including the carb and heads...
yea kind of why I want to fit an Arlen ness big sucker on it and eliminate the hoses and the bolts w the vents.

Old 05-05-2018 | 07:47 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I had a Big Sucker on my EVO with a CV carb, They vent back into the intake manifold. Still have it in a box if you are interested.....

Old 05-05-2018 | 08:02 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Fblo1690
im not too crazy about the Mikuni Breather setup on my EVO. The carb just pushes into the intake and is held on by the brackets that go to the heads and air filter. Was looking up different kits. A lot of them show an adapter piece that looks like it screws onto carb? But I don’t see any threaded holes on intake of carb.

is there a good kit someone knows about? Like a bracket that bolts to the heads and holds the carb in place that will allow me to use a different filter? Perhaps a horse shoe one that uses breather bolts without the hoses. Im going for a clean look. Thanks in advance.
An S&S is the only carb I know of that the intake bolts to the carb.
As for the clean look the S&S breather bolts allow you point them anyway you want so I run a hose with a T between the bolts and take the other leg straight up to the frame then follow the frame all the way around the motor.
Makes the breather hoses just disappear.

Old 05-05-2018 | 08:50 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
An S&S is the only carb I know of that the intake bolts to the carb.
As for the clean look the S&S breather bolts allow you point them anyway you want so I run a hose with a T between the bolts and take the other leg straight up to the frame then follow the frame all the way around the motor.
Makes the breather hoses just disappear.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but my OE CV carb has three bolts that connect the air cleaner to the carb, along with the two larger banjo bolts going to the heads. Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about the intake manifold?

Old 05-05-2018 | 09:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Mchad
Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but my OE CV carb has three bolts that connect the air cleaner to the carb, along with the two larger banjo bolts going to the heads. Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about the intake manifold?
Every carb I know of has bolts connecting the backing plate to the carb or as you call it air cleaner to the carb.
I'm talking about the intake manifold.
The S&S has 2 large bolts that connect the intake manifold to the carb with an isolator block in between.

Quick Reply: Help with intakes