EVO All Evo Model Discussion

True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM
SandmannNs
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 FLHTC - shotgun Samsons

I run a set of double barrel ( right side ) full length straight pipe Samsons on the Glide. With engine work done, intake/carb mods - I am happy with performance and they look great. Sound is LOUD and crisp. I am last bike out always - so as not to deafen others - also last bike in as most enjoy to hear it from a distance

Old 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
If I was your friend, you wouldn’t let me on it.
Wanna bet? LOL! It's insured for 15K. Plus I use it as advertisement for my side motorcycle business to show em while real obnoxious power is and if they invest in some good parts, and EVO can really get up and go!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Nice! I love beasts!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Nice! I love beasts!
Oh It's a beast alright. Dang thing keeps on shredding rear tires. I've had to change them every year! First I tried Dunlop 402's, then Commander 2's, then Metzler 888's (pic). This time I went with a straight racing tire called Fullbore (used to be Yokohama). Its sticky as hell and it's not a high mileage tire but it's half the price of the others. Doesn't make sense to put a name brand high mileage tire on it, if I have to change it every year. And don't even get me started on inner primary covers!. I'm on my third one! LOL!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammertime1978
Oh It's a beast alright. Dang thing keeps on shredding rear tires. I've had to change them every year! First I tried Dunlop 402's, then Commander 2's, then Metzler 888's (pic). This time I went with a straight racing tire called Fullbore (used to be Yokohama). Its sticky as hell and it's not a high mileage tire but it's half the price of the others. Doesn't make sense to put a name brand high mileage tire on it, if I have to change it every year. And don't even get me started on inner primary covers!. I'm on my third one! LOL!

That tire's scary! I would hate to have it come apart or blow out going down the road!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Now I gotta ask!!!!

What does it do to your inner primary covers???

Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

And don't even get me started on inner primary covers!. I'm on my third one! LOL!
Have you tried a torque arm?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tony_N
That tire's scary! I would hate to have it come apart or blow out going down the road!
Scary is right! Glad I noticed it. I always " eye *****" my bike when its parked. Here's a pic of the dang Dunlop 402 I had on the bike first. I don't have a pic of what the Commander 2 did. The 2nd pic was the Metzler 888 I had on the front. That one wasn't the bikes fault. Ended running over a 18 wheeler tire fragment that still had a piece of cable in it. I have the worst luck with tires! LOL!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Now I gotta ask!!!!

What does it do to your inner primary covers???

UGH. I wish I had a picture of what happened. The first inner primary cover had the top front bolt (near the shifter arm) come out and then the tab broke off from the vibration and it cracked all the way from the back to the front on the front bottom of the inner primary cover. So then I replaced it with a new inner primary cover.

Brand New
Talk about floating rotor fail!
After the floating rotor buttons all broke, the rotor chewed the crap out of my rotor bolt thread housing

THEN, with the new one the bolt kept on falling out. I was watching it carefully since that's how the first one broke. It wouldn't even stay in with RED Loctite. So then I put a locking tab on the bolt to keep it from coming out.

THEN GUESS WHAT?! The inner primary CRACKED AGAIN! This time right behind the front top bolt that I put a locking tab on. (the bolt stayed in LOL)! So I took it all apart AGAIN!. The front top bolt actually broke off inside the engine case, and then the two bolts on the rear of the inner primary broke off in the transmission case! That's also when I noticed that the front 2 transmission bolts had broke also!

So now I have a 3rd new inner primary on it now. After EZ outing the 3 broken bolts out of the transmission and engine cases and then replacing the 2 transmission mounting bolts with new case hardened and steel locking nuts. So far, its holding now. Only time will tell.

What's a torque arm?

I also found out that floating rear disk rotor are BAD on this bike. EVERY floating rotor button broke off at that the same time! I never had a problem with solid rotors.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

A torque arm is an additional alloy component for strengthening the connection of the transmission and crankcase. The twincams use a box-like construction, so the two are firmly joined together, however on our ole Evos the two are only joined together by a flimsy two-bolt junction.

A Carlini torque arm for a Glide, joins the front of the trans to the rear of the timer:

The following users liked this post:
Hammertime1978 (03-14-2018)

Quick Reply: True Dual Exhaust?