EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Where to find accessories for older EVO's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,259 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Look at post #4 in this thread.
Duh. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex
I have a set of saddlebag guard rails and clamps for '92 and older, that where NOS, near perfect condition, about to list them for sale.
What did they come off of?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Sad fact is, rear crash bars won't fit your Fat Boy with the stock shotgun exhaust. This is because the right hand bar attaches to the passenger peg mounting point. This is also where the upper muffler bracket for the stock pipes attaches, and there's no room for both the muffler bracket and the crash bar.

the solution is to either forego the crash bars or replace the exhaust system with one that doesn't use that upper bracket, freeing up room to mount the crash bar.

I have a '94 FLSTN, which used the same shotgun exhaust as your Fat Boy, so I know this.

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Sad fact is, rear crash bars won't fit your Fat Boy with the stock shotgun exhaust. This is because the right hand bar attaches to the passenger peg mounting point. This is also where the upper muffler bracket for the stock pipes attaches, and there's no room for both the muffler bracket and the crash bar.

the solution is to either forego the crash bars or replace the exhaust system with one that doesn't use that upper bracket, freeing up room to mount the crash bar.

I have a '94 FLSTN, which used the same shotgun exhaust as your Fat Boy, so I know this.
Thanks. That's very helpful info.

Oh, well. To be honest, I wasn't completely sold on getting them anyway, and the reason is because I'm not sure how they would look without saddlebags. They might stick out like a sore thumb. I'm running a single ammo box on the left side with nothing on the right. I might eventually switch to a swingarm bag like "normal" people, but I like the fact that the box is waterproof.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
Thanks. That's very helpful info.

Oh, well. To be honest, I wasn't completely sold on getting them anyway, and the reason is because I'm not sure how they would look without saddlebags. They might stick out like a sore thumb. I'm running a single ammo box on the left side with nothing on the right. I might eventually switch to a swingarm bag like "normal" people, but I like the fact that the box is waterproof.
I looked into getting rear crash bars for my bike, as I have a low 2 into 1 pipe set so I could. I haven't because I'm not sure they would clear the "50's style hard bags I have. The bars look like they'd be too close to the latches on the front of the bags. Therefore, I'm kinda in the same boat.