EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1340 softail oil level

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:46 PM
latrappe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1340 softail oil level

I read many different theories over checking the oil cold / hot, bike level / on side kick ... Well The problem I had with white smoke resolved itself with draining a bit of oil since it was to the full line when cold , so definitely overfilled ! Now, bike cold level is below half way mark, if I check it after a long ride, level reads to the max line. Is that amount of expansion normal ?? I read some guys have no difference at all ( may be twin cam are different though). What's your experience / opinion on this ? Oil was fresh when I bought it not long ago and I don't know which grade or brand they used ! Thx guys.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,886 Likes on 1,421 Posts

You may be sumping it, not expanding it. That is, the oil drains from the tank down into the cases past the check ball valve in the oil pump. Thus, when "cold," that is, it's been sitting a while, some oil has drained into the case. Starting it up pumps the oil out of the case back to the tank and now the tanks reads full. Try checking the oil "cold," then start it and let it idle a minute or so, turn it off and check again. The oil won't be hot at that point and there will be effectively zero expansion. Not that it expands much when hot anyway. There's maths for that.

The following users liked this post:
latrappe (12-10-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 AM
latrappe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that's why you need to check level on a hot engine then !

Old 12-11-2017, 06:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by latrappe
I guess that's why you need to check level on a hot engine then !
Very true! If you don't have the owners manual for your bike you may be able to download one from the H-D website - go to the Owners tab. Over the years the instructions for checking oil have changed, also may not be the same for every model, so its worth checking the correct book.

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I read many different theories over checking the oil cold / hot, bike level / on side kick ... Well The problem I had with white smoke resolved itself with draining a bit of oil since it was to the full line when cold , so definitely overfilled ! Now, bike cold level is below half way mark, if I check it after a long ride, level reads to the max line. Is that amount of expansion normal ?? I read some guys have no difference at all ( may be twin cam are different though). What's your experience / opinion on this ? Oil was fresh when I bought it not long ago and I don't know which grade or brand they used ! Thx guys.
EVO softails you check with the bike upright.

I would love to see a picture of your dipstick that has all those markings on it.
The ones I've seen for EVO softails just has one mark about 1/4" off the bottom.
I always guessed that was the low mark as when you fill the tank it should be just below the level of the bottom of the filler neck (takes about 2.5 quarts).

As previously mentioned always check oil level hot.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,712 Likes on 5,735 Posts

I read many different theories over checking the oil

I have never seen any other group of vehicle owners that make such a big deal out of checking oil as Harley owners...it is a motorcycle...not the space shuttle.

I have had my first Harley for over 25 years ..and during that time...I have never checked it hot...or upright...or any of the other stupid chit people say you need to do.

Do an oil change on the bike after riding it...make sure you get all the oil out of the tank...on most bikes this will require leaning the bike over while draining.

Now put the correct amount of oil in it according to the FSM...now run it to get the filter full...park your bike in its normal spot...and check the oil...cold and on the stand...make a mental note of where it is on the stick...this is where you want it before a ride.

On an EVO or older bike...if you check it and it is really low after sitting for a while...always assume it sumped...and run it some and check again before adding oil.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 12-11-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,886 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Tom,
When you put the dip stick in the oil tank, do you recommend putting it in until it seats and then giving it a little twist, like, 15 degrees clockwise, or do you just put the dip stick in flush and not twist it? Is 15 degrees the correct amount? I met a guy at the dealer BBQ that said 25 degrees was the proper amount, and he even went anti-clockwise, but that's just crazy talk.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

LOL Doc

Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
b bop n bob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,929 Likes on 1,083 Posts

maybe its clockwise here but counterclockwise south of the equator. Badcooky would know.