EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1998 FXDWG - A few questions, 1 thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:05 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Another molested wide glide on the way,bummer,just get rid of the hd logo stuff and throw a pad on the back rest and done...oh yeah...and make it loud !!!!!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

Sweet looking ride...really nice find!

While the smaller seat looks good, they suck for comfort. Lowering it screws up your ground clearance while cornering. A good start would be Stage 1.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:56 PM
panhead_pete
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks everyone. Anything I do will be reversible which should put those minds at ease that are worried about messing with a stock bike although must say Im surprised there is so many voices in that choir but a great thing about bikes is that everyone has a different perspective and all are valid.

For me its an evo dyna not an OP pan and Im only a fan of stock pre 86 HDs so it will see some mild reversible changes.

With only 5K miles on it Im hoping not to open it up for a cam etc just yet but thinking the 1st wave of money being thrown at it from a performance perspective would be a HSR42 and maybe a 2-1 pipe but I see no long term plan of going past 80/80 (HP/Torque) . If it does go down that way what pipe would you suggest I start looking at?

Thanks again for all the help!

The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by panhead_pete
Thanks everyone. Anything I do will be reversible which should put those minds at ease that are worried about messing with a stock bike although must say Im surprised there is so many voices in that choir but a great thing about bikes is that everyone has a different perspective and all are valid.

For me its an evo dyna not an OP pan and Im only a fan of stock pre 86 HDs so it will see some mild reversible changes.

With only 5K miles on it Im hoping not to open it up for a cam etc just yet but thinking the 1st wave of money being thrown at it from a performance perspective would be a HSR42 and maybe a 2-1 pipe but I see no long term plan of going past 80/80 (HP/Torque) . If it does go down that way what pipe would you suggest I start looking at?

If you even want to get close to 80/80 then you will need more than a carb and some pipes.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice bike!!!! I had a 98 Wide Glide. I love those. I would only do performance mods and leave the aesthetics alone if it were mine. I surely would not lower it. Ruins the ride in my opinion. I put Progressive shocks and the Progressive front fork kits on mine. But it is not mine. You only have to please yourself.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:15 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
That bike looks nice stock as is, I'd leave just like that. maybe add a set of slip ons. But that's only my opinion...
I'd forgotten how good a stock Evo Wide Glide looked !
Leave it alone haha!

Old 12-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
I'd forgotten how good a stock Evo Wide Glide looked !
Leave it alone haha!
Amen to that.

Maybe Massage the engine a little but Tye first picture looks a lot better than the others in my opinion. Everybody likes different things though.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

panhead_pete, you should take a look at Ruggs59 thread "Head bolt stud" he's doing a very nice but modest build that should yield 80-82 hp/torque... All bolt on....

Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by panhead_pete

wise man

Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice looking bike! Great find at that mileage.
Your idea with lower handlebars looks good too, although I liked the apes on mine.
Keep us posted on where she goes.

Last edited by schwangster; 12-04-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 FXDWG - A few questions, 1 thread.