EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another FLHS Batwing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:17 PM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another FLHS Batwing Question

I bought a 90 FLHS this summer for a good price and have been enjoying it. Up until this bike I've had a panhead and a couple of shovelheads. I have no bagger or EVO experience other than this bike but am learning.

I'd like to replace the plastic windshield with a bat wing fairing. I don't love the 2 piece fairing and windshield set up of the shoveled era. I'd like to find a OEM fairing that will fit my bike. I saw the fairing on a '92 FLH (possibly a classic?) that had the instrument cluster mounted in the inner fairing that looked like what I have in the original ugly instrument cluster. I also saw a few twin cam era fairings with round gages this weekend at a swap meet. They don't look very compatible.

Does anyone know what years of original OEM fairings would fit my bike? Do they mount like the new batwings here the inner is the hard mount and the fairing just screwed to the inner with a few small screws?

Ultimately I'd like to find an OEM fairing that's bolt up and would either accept my instrument cluster or has the same gage set up mounted in the fairing.

Thanks.

Frank

Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
I don't love the 2 piece fairing and windshield set up of the shoveled era. I'd like to find a OEM fairing that will fit my bike.
To get a later OEM one, you're going to spend a lot of money and then be faced with clocking and wiring it. Plus you don't have the harness to use one. Some of the aftermarket ones aren't that bad quality, and are more minimal. Some are also American made.

Reckless, Dead Center, Woody's etc.

Or, just to throw a curve ball into the mix, what about a Tour Glide fairing? I've seen them come up cheap.

Just out of interest, how did the 2 piece fairing function (never mind looks). I was always intrigued by the effect of the gap between the fairing and shield. I thought it might lessen the low pressure effect that cause airs to be sucked in on the new ones. The old "beard lift" feature.