Leaky primary....crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017 | 05:39 AM
Evoken
|
Tourer
Default Leaky primary....crap

Hey guys,
So while I had the softail apart for the top end work I did to her I decided to get a new primary cover. Now of course MoCo doesn't offer this cover anymore so I had to go aftermarket. I found one at a fairly local Indy shop that sells bikes and parts of all makes. It's very nice looking and is oversized, so it actually took almost a quart and a half to get it up to the clutch basket. I have no idea who made it. I did have to get an odd sized bushing made for the starter shaft, but otherwise everything lined up perfect.

I used a new siliconized gasket and followed the torque sequence in the service manual. I went middle of the range with torque. I started leaking, no big deal I just retorqued to the max level. Still leaking.....damn.

I didn't see any burrs or imperfections on either my inner or the new outer, and it never leaked before. I ordered a new James foamet siliconized gasket in hopes it will give me a little more squish.

Do you guys use anything on the gasket surface? I've used both gasket shellac and a spray gasket material before on other applications but didn't think I would need anything in this one. With the little gasket **** on the inner primary I'm pretty sure I got it lined up right.

Any ideas? Anybody ever have an issue with this? Being a no pressure area I didn't think it would give me trouble sealing up. The biggest irritant is I put red line primary oil in it and that crap is expensive.

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:06 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

don't throw the red line out. drain it into a milk jug and reuse it.

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:29 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

First thing check your aftermarket outer to see if is warped...straight edge, or glass works well...if it is warped you will always have problems.

If it is an aftermarket chrome cover...might as well use some gasket sealer, as chrome likes to leak...I would use Loctite 518

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:42 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, warping is always a concern with after market covers so definitely check that. If you can't get an exchange on the part and you really want to stick with that cover try the gray Yamabond sealer. I stared using on my Shovelhead several years ago and have grown rather fond of it. It's gas and oil resistant so it won't get squishy and wind up floating around inside the primary. Keep us posted

Last edited by Hey Man; 09-27-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2017 | 07:45 AM
Evoken
|
Tourer

I did check it for flattness and it looked ok. Used straight edges for that. I will have to do the glass test though. There wont be a chance to exchange it, i bought it a while ago knowing I would be changing it. I will look into some of the gasket sealers you gents recommended. Thanks.

I am hoping that I can get it sealed up, as it was not cheap and I had no luck finding a nos part only used. I didn't want someone's old crap as I potentially would have been in the same boat. While mine was scratched that wasn't my primary concern, the previous owner didn't know what an inch pound wrench was apparently and one derby screw was stripped and the other 2 didn't feel great. So I figured after helicoils and rechrome I might as well just buy a new one.

Old 09-27-2017 | 07:45 AM
Evoken
|
Tourer

I did check it for flattness and it looked ok. Used straight edges for that. I will have to do the glass test though. There wont be a chance to exchange it, i bought it a while ago knowing I would be changing it. I will look into some of the gasket sealers you gents recommended. Thanks.

I am hoping that I can get it sealed up, as it was not cheap and I had no luck finding a nos part only used. I didn't want someone's old crap as I potentially would have been in the same boat. While mine was scratched that wasn't my primary concern, the previous owner didn't know what an inch pound wrench was apparently and one derby screw was stripped and the other 2 didn't feel great. So I figured after helicoils and rechrome I might as well just buy a new one.

Old 09-27-2017 | 08:10 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

How did you come to know that the moco doesn't offer a primary cover for your bike anymore?

carl

Old 09-27-2017 | 08:26 AM
Evoken
|
Tourer

Checking their website. And I spoke to my local dealer, all they could get me was a MoCo inner primary and aftermarket outer.

Old 09-27-2017 | 08:37 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

What bike?

Old 09-27-2017 | 08:42 AM
Evoken
|
Tourer

The softy tex. 98 custom.

Quick Reply: Leaky primary....crap