EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Finally, the FLHS is running good.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017 | 01:25 AM
Amos Iron Wolf
|
Cruiser
Default Finally, the FLHS is running good.

Been off the forum for nearly a month or so. Finally bought our first place at 60 years old. Spread different directions and dollars going the same. A few months back also I had picked up my 93 HD FLHS from a friend where it had sat a few years with just a start now and then. Had the 10K service done, shifter fork replaced at the same time. Found out it would need fork seal replaced down the road and a few other issues addressed eventually.

Then it was the charging system that started going. Ended up replacing the battery, voltage regulator, and finally the stator. The battery and regulator by me and the stator by the local indy shop. The stator had been fooling me with readings and tripped out the shop owner who has been working on Harley and other bikes for decades. The stator would read good, high volts when the bike was cold, then drop voltage when the bike warmed up.

Got that fixed, but it was back to giving me that pop, spit, cough, splat that made it unrideable. I was moving 35 miles away while working at the same time and trying to figure out if I should try to trailer the bike to the new place and just let it set until I could sell it or fiddle with it eventually, or could I get it running enough to get it to the shop again. Then hope it would run right.

I ended up pop and limping it out to the shop. I gave instructions to pull the petcock and see if things were getting goofy there, replace if needed, and change every damned fuel or vacuum hose on it. The petcock was good and since the shop said it was a special valve I'm wondering if it isn't the pingel everyone seems to talk about. Also a new tune to the carb.

I had gotten so frustrated I started calling the bike Laura after a gal who was an hour of happy and a week to a month of frustration and anguish right after. Don't know if it was the last trip to the shop, the final insult, or both, but the bike seems to be doing pretty good now (hope I don't jinx it). Along the way the bike informed me he was a he and we settled on SGT Rock for a name. Now it's SGTs Rock and Iron Wolf enroute and have been making the 35 mile each way commute several days last week.

Still things to do at the 5K service like the fork seals, new brakes, and somewhere along the way I gotta add a pad on that seat for my bony butt until I can afford to get a new seat for it.

I've gone from cussing the thing and saying one HD was enough to deciding to keep the bike and start setting up the little things to make the ride right for me. Still can't bring myself to get rid of the 94 Shadow 1100 though.

The 1100 is a solid running bike, handles easy and light, and runs well. I even took the Shadow (Sundance) down a dirt road that had its share of ruts and rough spots with no problems and had fun. So maybe time to turn the Shadow into a solo, Sportsteresque bike.

Where the FLHS had been a cold hearted bike even in the Texas heat, currently I don't need to choke it in the morning or leaving work at night. I just give a few quick twist of the throttle, fire the bike up and lock the throttle around 900-1200 RPM until it will hold idle on its own without the lock.

Tomorrow, I mean later today, I hope to do a few tweaks on my day off. A touch more tension on the throttle lock as the throttle is much too loose fully unlocked. Maybe see if I can put the highway pegs back on and find a position that I can actually use them in. I'm going to take the step of even gathering up my rain gear and some supplies and loading out one of the saddlebags for those occasions.

It's been a rough start, but things seem doable and rideable now and I can talk about my Harley without a grumble and and growl and referring to it as "That damned Harley" and instead just say, "My Harley."

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:31 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

You'll get it all sorted. Anything 'new', is always an adventure learning. And an EVO is no exception.

Mine makes different noises on different days. Temperature changes will create a different noise. My bike really likes temps in the 50-70 degree range. But I live in a more moderate climate. 90+ degree temps aren't a problem, just a different riding experience. Typical of air cooled engines.

Keep an eye on the transmission output pulley/sprocket. The MoCo upgraded the locking nut design in 1994. If you happen to notice a small and occasional drip on the floor under the primary, the pulley may be loosening up.

I've owned my 93 FLHS since new in April 1993. We've been through a lot of good and bad, so if you need any help: Let me know.

Old 09-03-2017 | 12:05 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Such is life with an older vehicle. I've owned mine for 24 years. Some years it seems like it's been one thing after another, other years go by without a hiccup. You'll get there, and you'll know your bike so much better in the process.

Old 09-03-2017 | 12:48 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Some years it seems like it's been one thing after another, other years go by without a hiccup.
Yep. My 93 FLHS is really running good right now. Almost scary good. As in waiting for the next issue to crop up...

Old 09-03-2017 | 02:37 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the encouragement.

I also noted one of the acorn nuts busted off the stud on the air horns so now the lower horn is drooping a little. Can't go anywhere so I'll worry about it later when I have time.

I hope the bike has decided to just run good for a long while so I can get those other things taken care of in time.

Old 09-03-2017 | 03:20 PM
daven9113
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hackd
Yep. My 93 FLHS is really running good right now. Almost scary good. As in waiting for the next issue to crop up...
I just ride mine until something breaks. Fix it, and ride her some more. Many times, I think about upgrading to a newer Evo, but why? I figure I just continue to ride this one, and fix things as they come. At least I can fix it myself. Plus, it's got all the nice LTR/RTL that I got from you. LOL...

The following users liked this post:
Hackd (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017 | 04:11 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Quote: "A touch more tension on the throttle lock as the throttle is much too loose fully unlocked."

? As in the throttle cables need adjustment?

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:17 PM
Amos Iron Wolf
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Quote: "A touch more tension on the throttle lock as the throttle is much too loose fully unlocked."

? As in the throttle cables need adjustment?
Just not enough tension when I twist. Not loose like flops around. Too easy to get jerky starting out or slow over rough spots as it's too easy to twist the throttle. The opposite of what I was bitching about before.

So I found some drips under the bike AND this small bolt and washer that looks scarily like the bolt I see in pics holding the pulley on. Anyone have a good video on how to access and either tighten up or replace the pulley and sprocket setup on this thing.

Figures, a couple of days commuting and feeling good about the bike then just more downtime stuff. I don't have the setup or the physical anymore to dig into this thing all the time. And I don't have the time. Also don't have the money to keep taking it to the shop.

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:04 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Patience grasshopper
Stick with us and maybe we can help you stay away from the shop.

All we ask for is pics, clear descriptions, and a sense of humor.

Old 09-04-2017 | 04:49 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf
So I found some drips under the bike AND this small bolt and washer that looks scarily like the bolt I see in pics holding the pulley on. Anyone have a good video on how to access and either tighten up or replace the pulley and sprocket setup on this thing.
If it is in fact the small machine screw (there are two of them) that holds the lockplate onto the drive pulley, you will need to remove both the outer and inner primary to get to it. I've had mine done three times in 24 years. Twice while 'out on the road' a long distance from home. And the third time, I had the JIMS lockplate installed on it (although it wasn't loose) as an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Finally, the FLHS is running good.