EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED turn signals, load equalizers, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yeah, the best way is to use a plug and play system someone else already worked out. A 100 Watt resistor is not small. Neither is a 50. I bet that if you pull one of the bulbs on each side, the module would still work fine, and that would be around 6 Ohms. You might get b y with an 8 ohm resistor, which would be around 20 Watts. Assuming a 50% duty cycle, you might get by with a 10 Watt resistor without letting the smoke out. The resistors, of course, need to be in parallel to your LED's. The LED bulbs probably have some type of current limiting resistor inside them.

But, the easy way is to use a store bought unit. RHBB shows another example of a Kury product failing.

Oh, try superbrightleds.com for your resistors. They have it all worked out.
Interesting. Looked at their website, and they are showing simple resistors installed in series.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,643 Posts

LED's are the way to go... A lot brighter... I purchased 2 rear bullet style directionals a few years ago that must have had a built in equalizer. Put them on and everything still worked the same. Not sure if it was because of the newer style TSM or not... I'm also going to be installing a 32w cob led replacement unit for my headlamp. It's rated at 3000 lumens on hi beam as where the old 55/65 qaurtz halogen only had an 1850 lumens rating. Should be here Saturday. I'll let you know how I make out if your want...

Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have a Badlands module, just one, which is designed to do exactly what you seem to be after (as I was). However I believe they also do a dedicated LED module which provides the same facilities that the stock H-D flasher module does, as mentioned by Dr H. So if you buy an aftermarket solution, you can sort out everything in one hit.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Get the solid state badlands module.

When I redid my lighting a couple of years ago that is what I did.

The problem with going with old fashioned resistors or the old type of module is they generate heat. It gets a lot worse when in parade mode and can potentially start a fire. That information came from Badlands. A fire on a bike has got to be a horrible thing.

I went with custom Dynamics LED's all the way around. They are made like a disc insert with a bunch of tiny LED's on them. The disk has a pair of wires coming out of it that go into what looks like the brass base of a standard 1157 or 1156 incandescent bulb.

For my tail / brake light I went with custom Dynamics as well. It was a rectangular shaped board with a bunch of tiny LED's on it and was made similar to the turn signals. This was much much cheaper than the popular Bright *** Tail Light and worked just as good.

My fender tip lights were a rectangular board with LED's and the bottom of the board was made just like the connector of the push in 192 incandescent lights.

I have a thread around somewhere about it. It is probably easier to look at my photo albums for the results.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Prot
I went with custom Dynamics LED's all the way around. They are made like a disc insert with a bunch of tiny LED's on them. The disk has a pair of wires coming out of it that go into what looks like the brass base of a standard 1157 or 1156 incandescent bulb.
I'm not sure what brand mine are, but my LED flashers fit that description.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm kind of tempted by a new module.

But looking around a bit, I don't see any that have the integration with the speedometer like I currently do. Kind of hate to take a step backward there. Anyone know of a module that includes that?

I might be willing to give up that feature in exchange for the "turn your turn signals into brake lights" thing. That would be nice.

PS: Closest I can find is the Badlands ATS-03-A, which is a direct plug in replacement for my OEM module. That's nice. But it doesn't include the speed sensitive function, which is too bad.

Last edited by 0maha; 08-18-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member

I got so frustrated with the speedo link on my Glide that I disconnected it! I'm surprised Badlands doesn't include it.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,436 Likes on 5,026 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

I think I've found the output wires on the module to each side. Assuming that for all practical purposes the LED's can be ignored, I should be able to splice a resistor into each of those leads to replicate the original load. Sound reasonable?
Your post reads like you are going to put the resistor in line...

For those not familiar with load equalizers: one end of the resistor is connected to the power wire for the bulbs, the other end of the resistor goes to ground, it is just a way to make the circuit use the same amount of current as the incandescent bulbs.

But now you have two resistors that are getting as hot as the old bulbs...

Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Prot
Club Member
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

I didn't lose self canceling turn signal function with the Badlands module I went with. It didn't replace the original one. It was more of an add on part.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:42 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
I didn't lose self canceling turn signal function with the Badlands module I went with. It didn't replace the original one. It was more of an add on part.
I decided to order the Badlands.

With my FLH, I've already got self-canceling. It's just that my module doesn't play nice with the new LEDs. The Badlands unit is supposed to be a direct plug in replacement (which should make putting it in a snap), but in exchange for adding LED compatibility, I am losing the "stay on forever if you aren't moving" feature of the stocker.

Guess I'll live with that.

Quick Reply: LED turn signals, load equalizers, etc...