Cam cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Cam cover

Hi fellas,
As you may know I am in the process of giving my softail a new life and turning her into a monster. While I have it torn down I am freshening some things up. My original cam cover is chrome, but shows it's age. It's got some pits and chips in it. I bought a cover cover for it that is just sheet metal that is chromed, it looks horrible.

When I looked into replacing with something from s&s or Jim's they all say something about reaming for fitment of cam or something like that. So I am apprehensive to buy another part that will need machined. How is this done, how do you check to see if a new cover needs machined?

Anyone changed cam covers, and what is all involved?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:03 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 3,617 Posts

If your talking about the cam chest cover (Gear Cover #19) yes you have to ream the cam bushing for proper fitment http://images.imagessite.com/OEM_IMA...D98FXST006.gif

Now if your talking about the cam position cover no nothing needs to be done.... I took the center out of a hub cap from a chevy pickup and used it for my cam position sensor cover.... Let's out a lot more heat....

Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Evoken
Tourer

Yep, # 19 the chest cover. I'm assuming just the brass bushing needs reamed. Would this be a machinist job? How do you verify what you need? Could I do this myself with a drill press and reamer bit?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 3,617 Posts

Yea, I wouldn't attempt that myself. You really should use a lathe or something to that manner to get the proper clearance you need. I don't think you'd be able to accurately Center the cam chest bushing on your drill press to properly ream it. leave that to the pros, a machinist yes. You're going to need to take your cam out so they can mic it up for you and ream properly. I'm pretty sure the goal is around .001".....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 08-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,674 Likes on 1,663 Posts

If you want the "according to Hoyle" answer, the right way to fit a new cam cover is to split the cases, mount the new cam cover to the right side case, then line ream the pinion shaft bushing to the crank roller bearing race. There are special guides you fit into the roller bearing race to align the reamer. The cam cover has to be precision matched to your case.

I'm sure a lot of guys have just reamed the cam and pinion bushings to fit their cam and pinion shaft, and then trusted to luck on the pinion bushing alignment. Not exactly "best practice".

If it was my motor, I'd at least do this: Pull the whole top end, and pull the primary side far enough to where you remove the compensator. Then ream your new cover and test fit it. Push on the con rods up and down to rotate the motor, and feel for smooth, easy operation and make sure there are no tight spots. If you get lucky, everything will check out.

If not, if it doesn't turn freely or if it feels like it wants to bind in spots, you'll either have to go back to your old cover, or split the cases so you can get the cover fitted properly to your case. The other thing you could do if it's tight is try a smaller cam gear, which may or may not correct the problem.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Evoken
Tourer

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm not going to split the covers just to install a new cover. I will just see what the cover/cover looks like after I get it all back together. The factory cover isn't that bad I guess, it's got a small chip about an 1/8" on the top that I notice every time I look at it. Most people probably don't even see the damned thing, I'm just being ****.

Thanks fellas.