EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Andrews EV27 Cam and ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:04 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Andrews EV27 Cam and ...

I've recently purchased a '96 Road King as a project for my retirement. I have the bike almost totally disassembled, including the engine. Due to the engine needing a total rebuild I am returning everything I can back to stock. I find I have less problems that way.

I'm 65 and not into the performance side, just like riding at my pleasure ... so I'm removing the Andrews EV27 cam and pinion gear, the adjustable pushrods, and the staggered exhaust. Yes ... I'm putting OEM back in.

My question ... is there any market for these used parts? They all seem to be in good condition but not sure if I want to hang onto them for a while, or just get rid of them.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

You might want to consider an EV13 cam in that bike. The stock cam really wasn't much. I put a 13 in my RK and it really woke it up through the whole range. It can get out of its way now, stop and go traffic and slow city riding are no worries.
You can use stock solid push rods as well.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,094 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
You might want to consider an EV13 cam in that bike. The stock cam really wasn't much. I put a 13 in my RK and it really woke it up through the whole range. It can get out of its way now, stop and go traffic and slow city riding are no worries.
You can use stock solid push rods as well.

I agree, you will be very sorry with the stock cam. It is actually a cam made for EPA compliance. Put in a EV13 so your bike runs like it's supposed to.

The "L" cam was the factory "non EPA" cam, and the "N" cam is the EPA compliance cam.
Yes, there is a used market for evo parts. There is even a section for selling parts on this forum. YD

Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
I've recently purchased a '96 Road King as a project for my retirement. I have the bike almost totally disassembled, including the engine. Due to the engine needing a total rebuild I am returning everything I can back to stock. I find I have less problems that way.

I'm 65 and not into the performance side, just like riding at my pleasure ... so I'm removing the Andrews EV27 cam and pinion gear, the adjustable pushrods, and the staggered exhaust. Yes ... I'm putting OEM back in.

My question ... is there any market for these used parts? They all seem to be in good condition but not sure if I want to hang onto them for a while, or just get rid of them.
For a road king, I also recommend a EV13. Really decent low end torque and a drop in cam.

I'm trying to build a bottom end, and could use both your EV27 cam and pinion gear. You have a potential buyer for those. Good luck on your build.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Had to replace both cylinders and both heads ... already have received new HD cylinder/piston sets at stock bore, and stock heads. Also have in hand ready to install new stock cam and pinion and stock pushrods.

I already have a stock '96 Electra Glide Injected that I have logged 150k miles with no major problems. This '96 Road King is carb, and once I get it back to where it was I don't expect much problem with it.

As I mentioned, I'm not into performance ... I just enjoy riding at my pace. When I get lazy I take my 2008 Sportster trike, again it's stock. I just seem to have less trouble that way.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

I may be interested in the exhaust. Can you post some pictures?

Last edited by flhchaz; 07-20-2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: spelling again...DAMMIT
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Exhaust photos, on and off bike ... bike is a '96 Road King ... brackets, flanges, and heat shields ... I don't know the brand of the exhaust ... the short time I ran the bike I can tell you they are louder than stock, though not real loud ...

Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

Nice looking bike. Those appear to be Cycle Shack muffler pipes. They went out of business. What would you be looking to sell them for, and is there any rust around the welds?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Well Sir sounds like you have it under control. The EV13 isn't a performance cam but more of an improvement cam in my opinion. It made a night and day difference in my Road King. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Some photos of the back side ... I don't see any rust, just a lot of exhaust crud ... I noticed the front pipe/muffler is one piece ... the rear pipe/muffler is two pieces ... guess I hadn't thought about price yet ...

Last edited by FreedomRider; 07-20-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Andrews EV27 Cam and ...