Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   EVO (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-84/)
-   -   Did I spray water in the heads? 92 softail not running good. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo/1187200-did-i-spray-water-in-the-heads-92-softail-not-running-good.html)

thatctguy 07-12-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RANGER73 (Post 16425311)
More than likely an air leak behind the carb. And water that got into the breathers had long been burnt or blown out.

I checked that + it has a new James gasket.

Jackie Paper 07-12-2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by thatctguy (Post 16425258)
When I inspected the oil tank after riding I noticed some small bubbles/very light foam but when I looked it up on the forums it seems normal. They are only visible when checking oil pretty much immediately after riding then they are gone. Just in case the small bubbles are not normal Ive done 2 oil changes and purged the dirty oil from crankcase by removing oil return twice now.

As far as possibly getting water in the high voltage areas and it bleeding zap out how can I check? Should I just continue to ride and hope that it dries eventually?

Well, it's going to dry out with one run I would think. So it must be something else. The upper post about you not having Poppet valves looks to be correct. I had always assumed the EVO with the vents in the head had poppets but use the on and off rotary valve. However, when you check the fish. It appears even the 94 does not. I know I have seen and EVO with a rotary valve and poppets. No matter, water going in that is not going to get into the combustion chamber. Guess you could get enough in to float the oil but you surely would notice that on a Harley.

Kabear 07-13-2017 07:10 AM

There is a warning in the OPS manual about "pressure washing" the engine; guess you just found out why!

Probably electrical and agree with all that said it will/may dry out and be OK.

Then again, all electrical devices may be FUBARed.

98glider 07-14-2017 07:56 PM

Don't worry be happy. Everything will be okay.

thatctguy 07-16-2017 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kabear (Post 16426799)
There is a warning in the OPS manual about "pressure washing" the engine; guess you just found out why!

Probably electrical and agree with all that said it will/may dry out and be OK.

Then again, all electrical devices may be FUBARed.

I would hardly call it pressure washing but point taken. I used a garden hose with a fan stream of water.

thatctguy 07-16-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by RANGER73 (Post 16425311)
More than likely an air leak behind the carb. And water that got into the breathers had long been burnt or blown out.

No more calls we have a winner! Thanks for the suggestion. For haha's I reseated the gasket + carb and that was it; it runs 100% better. I must've moved the gasket in all my checking and rechecking of the breather bolt holes.

​​​​​​​Thanks for all of the quick responses.

texashillcountry 07-16-2017 10:58 AM

Glad you found it and got it fixed!!!