EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front wheel install - abnormal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

When you take the front wheel out, the spacers and axle will (should!) all make sense and you will better understand all the above!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:38 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Panheader
I change my own tires and just put a new front on my new-to-me 1998 Road King, and while reinstalling the axle it looks like there is a good amount of space outboard of the right side spacer that would be pulled in - pulling in the forks to the spacer...I reviewed the parts diagrams and it doesn't look like I am missing anything (its the first time I took the wheel off since I bought this bike). Is this a normal part of reinstalling the front wheel? It seems like there would be a good amount of tension pulling the forks in and I have not seen that much space on my 93 heritage softail or any of the sportbikes I have changed tires on.
DO NOT PULL FORK TUB IN to meet spacer spacer should rest on axle shoulder as already stated. Also already stated .. leave axle cap nuts finger tight. Torque axle using a screwdriver or drill bit to hold the cap side. Spin wheel a few time to make sure seated properly in brake calipers and them torque axle cap on bottom of slider.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
DO NOT PULL FORK TUB IN to meet spacer spacer should rest on axle shoulder as already stated. Also already stated .. leave axle cap nuts finger tight. Torque axle using a screwdriver or drill bit to hold the cap side. Spin wheel a few time to make sure seated properly in brake calipers and them torque axle cap on bottom of slider.
This right here!!! The axle, wheel and spacers are all pulled tight and torqued against the LEFT side fork leg, allowing the right fork leg to find its own "comfortable" location along the axle, as shown. Then you tighten the fork cap nuts as the last step.