EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trouble with the front brakes after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
I believe its the same reason I have. Just be glad the brake system on a bike isnt the same as a truck where you have 1 reservoir for both front and back.
OK I gotta ask What year and kinda truck have you got.

Times ya just gotta keep at it

WP

Old 06-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
OK I gotta ask What year and kinda truck have you got.

Times ya just gotta keep at it

WP
99 Silverado 1500

Old 06-12-2017, 05:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
Bleeding the brakes seems like devils work. I can bleed my truck but the bike hasn't been easy
Well put. On my Super Glide, my first ever hydraulic-braked bike, I resorted to laying the rear caliper on the ground to bleed it, so it was lower than the master cylinder. With a single front rotor and almost straight line the front was always dead easy. When installing a new rear line on my Glide some years ago, bleeding the darned thing took three pushes of the pedal and was as hard as rock - my best bleeding experience by a country mile!

A twin rotor front is quite another matter, despite superficially having gravity on our side. I've never had a super quick experience there, especially after making changes such as new lines. Hence my earlier comments! As Crashone points out do the left one first. We're here providing moral support, if that's any help. Together we can do this.....

Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Try what I suggested, the tapping works. I just did a dual front rebuild. Vacuum wouldn't work on mine either.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 270 Posts

Joe
You might have it done --- how worn are your rotors ?? how bout your pins and bushings ???

Reach down and wiggle a caliper -- now squeeze the brake lever -- does the caliper tighten up ??? If it does then the only thing that you are lacking is the amount of CC's of fluid going from the Master to the the 2 calipers
H-D uses the same master on 1 and 2 caliper's -- 2 calipers has to be in almost perfect shape in order to work correctly

Temporarily put a makeshift shim between the piston and the back (metal ) of the shoe on both sides -- squeeze the lever ?? if everything feels good then there's worn parts

The master did not have enough of CC'c of fluid to push both pistons against both rotors

This is a past experiences

Speed Bleeders are " Fantastic "

Shim -- appox 1/16"

Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 81rat
Joe
You might have it done --- how worn are your rotors ?? how bout your pins and bushings ???

Reach down and wiggle a caliper -- now squeeze the brake lever -- does the caliper tighten up ??? If it does then the only thing that you are lacking is the amount of CC's of fluid going from the Master to the the 2 calipers
H-D uses the same master on 1 and 2 caliper's -- 2 calipers has to be in almost perfect shape in order to work correctly

Temporarily put a makeshift shim between the piston and the back (metal ) of the shoe on both sides -- squeeze the lever ?? if everything feels good then there's worn parts

The master did not have enough of CC'c of fluid to push both pistons against both rotors

This is a past experiences

Speed Bleeders are " Fantastic "

Shim -- appox 1/16"
Not sure about the rotor except it don't look original. I had an older bud of mine help with bleeding them to a point they work but not perfectly yet. This is a step up from before the rebuild when it work sometimes if at all. So I'm going in the right direction.

No I didn't bench bleed the master cylinder. Didn't know I was supposed to till the previous post mentioned that and my buddy also did,by then it was a little too late.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:24 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Now is the time to bungee the brake lever towards the grip, overnight.
Good luck.

Next I might suspect your work on the master cyl.